got my new rifle today

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Rowenna7, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Rowenna7

Rowenna7 Looking for my place...

My DH, FIL and I went to an auction this afternoon and the DH ended up buying me a Remington .243 semi-automatic rifle for $475 (including tax). It has I think a Simmons? scope on it. Anyways, this will be my new rifle for deer hunting next fall, I haven't gotten to try it out yet, but I'm thinking it'll work much better than my .223 single shot. DH had decided to spend no more than $350 but oh well. We priced one brand-new and it was something like $100 more than what we paid and that was without the scope. He seems to think we got a pretty good deal on it :)

Thanks to everybody here who recommended a .243 to me, it definitely helped in making the decision in what to look for!

2. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good gun. If he can shoot it well it will be a great gun.

3. JJ Grandits

JJ Grandits Well-Known Member

I think you'll really like it. The .243 can be a real tack driver.

4. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

With the Remington 742/7400 series, its VERY important to clean the chamber after each shooting session. If not done, it will cause problems with extraction. Get a chamber brush to do it properly.

5. Rowenna7

Rowenna7 Looking for my place...

This one is a 742 model...I'll be sure to keep that in mind about cleaning it each time. Thanks for the tip!

I still need to get shells, a shoulder strap, and a couple other odds and ends accessories, sure looking forward to trying it out!

6. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Congrats & good luck!

7. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

Check your local Wally World they are discounting hunting stuff at many of them good place to get a sling I like the neopreme ones as they tend not to slid as much. I hate the wide leather ones as they tend to cut into the neck if not watched.

I love the 243, great for chucks to youtes and deer. I shoot only one size bullet for them all.

:D Al

8. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

Solid advice,for sure.I had the 742 woodsmaster in 30-06,and with a dirty chamber,it would usually fail to eject the case from the third round fired.When clean,it functioned flawlessly.Mine was a beater,but still quite accurate.Pretty nice trigger,too.