Got my meat back

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by mpillow, Dec 8, 2006.

1. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Got my meat today....not the hams and bacon....but the rest.

Hanging wts were 179 and 182 so what does that give in live wts? Around 275?

My livers look great....heck I may even venture a try....its been a long time since I've had liver n onions!

Now I need to do the fatback into salt pork....any suggestions? The guy that transported them wanted one pack of fatback for helping (and a broiler chix) and said he'd help me out but any words of wisdom from those with experience would be appreciated!

I also got the heads (chicken food?) and the feet....(cough) pickled feet just doesnt strike me well :shrug:

2. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

Mpillow,
    Morton makes a good salt cure that you can pick up at most older type corner stores, & it can also be ordered online. it has all the ingredients that pork needs to make a fine finished product.
    It is very important to follow the directions on the package or you will end up with REALLY REALLY salty pork that in my opinion is very hard to eat. 1 or 2 pieces at the most is all i can handle of it.
    Good Luck
    Rick

3. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

our pig that weighed in at 250# hung at 185#

Dont you get both weights on the receipt? WE got our fresh meat back this week too. Our live weight was 362# and hanging weight was 270#