Got My March/April Countryside mag...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cowgirlone, Feb 9, 2004.

1. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Anyone have articles in this issue?

2. Oh boy! I should be getting mine soon also since we are next door neighbors. Sometime I think I should write a article or two about what I know. I don't know if it would be of interest to anybody or not. For years I have enjoyed eating green onions 3 times a year off of one planting and have thought about writing a article about how I do such a thing. And just recently I responded on how to build a turtle trap that works great. I guess I could write and show pictures of how to do that also. I could write about my deer processing adventure and put in several sausage recipes that several of my customers have enjoyed. Being an avid hunter and fisherman I could write of some of my techniques on taking game and fish. There could be several more if given time to think about it. I enjoy reading many of Kens articles, he usually has something in there in every issue. Cowgirl you could submit a article on your fresh water shrimp farming, I would enjoy reading that.

3. cowgirlone

R.H. you would be a great contributor! I've enjoyed learning from you over the years on this forum. You could probably write a book!
    I have thought about sending in info about shrimp farming and I have my "weed eater" in the garden. (It's a tunnel system that lets my chickens weed the garden for me).
    I could show hog butchering, ham and bacon curing & smoking.
    I'll have to think up more. :)

4. lynpea

lynpea Well-Known Member

Cowgirlone and R.H. in OK- both of you guys...WRITE THE ARTICLES!! :haha: I am very interested in the green oniions and the weeding tunnels........lynpea

5. cowgirlone

Lynpea, here is a post I made in the pig forum (I got side tracked :eek: )
    I want to take pictures of it when I have the garden growing....looks so much nicer with the plants on either side. :haha:

My Weed Eater:

My chicken coop/pen is right next to my garden, separated by a chickenwire fence.
    I have little doorways cut into the fence at each garden walkway.
    When I need a walkway weeded, I place my tunnel over the walkway and open the little chicken door, the hens go in and clean up the row in 10 to 15 minutes. I coax them back out with grain, move the tunnel to the next walkway, open the next door and so on til all the walkways are weeded.
    I plant my garden in wide rows about 4 ft across. My walkways are smaller.

As for the tunnels, I made rectangle frames out of 3/4" pvc the width of my walkways and about 10 ft long. I attached garden "hoops" to the frames and covered them with chicken wire. (Garden hoops are those wire semi-circles used to hold up bug barriers/ etc. over your plants).

I made my tunnel in sections so I can easily pick a section up with one hand, they are really light weight. I place two or three in a line to do each walkway. Just remember that the last one has to have chicken wire covering the end.
    The whole tunnel is about 2 ft tall, tall enough for my largest rooster to walk through with no trouble.

Hope this makes sense, If I ever get my scanner working, I'll post a picture!

6. margo

margo Well-Known Member

Cowgirl1, that's a great idea, you are very clever. Never woulda thought of it. Would like to see your photos when you get a chance. ...........M

7. diane

diane Well-Known Member

:haha: Some folks sure know how to make other folks jealous. It will be March before I get mine if the past few issues are any indicator.

Great idea btw cowgirlone.

8. cowgirlone

Thanks Margo and Diane!
    Sorry your magazine will be so late Diane. I just noticed Ken has a nice article in it about making a log poker for the fireplace. I haven't got to check the whole magazine out yet, maybe tonight.
    Ken, your articles are always so interesting...Thanks!

9. diane

diane Well-Known Member

:haha: I can't believe it.......first time in the 15 years we have been here my CS mag came in decent shape in good time. It was in the mail today!! I think I made such a protest over the seed round robin box taking TWO weeks to get here from New York that they decided not to read my magazine before they delivered it. :p I told them that hundreds of people from all over the country were watching the tracking on that box and probably deciding to use UPS in the future. :(

Now......if I can just get it out of the hands of the DH :no:

10. Peg

Peg Well-Known Member

Oh, that reminds me. I forgot to get the mail today. Maybe my copy is in the box waiting for me!

Peg

11. Well, I got my magazine today also. A couple of hours after I posted on here I finally walked down to the end of my driveway to check the mail and there it was. I've already had to take a few extra bathroom breaks since. Now I got to go to the rabbit forum and ask a question to the rabbit farmers since I read an article about rabbits in the new magazine. See Ya.

12. cathyharrell

cathyharrell Well-Known Member

Mine came yesterday but last month it was later than everybody else's.

13. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We received our copy in the mail today but haven't had time to read any articles yet. We are in AZ so maybe they mail the far off ones first.

14. I think some interesting reads in the future may include....

....interviews of some hardcore homesteaders from the different regions of America like New England, the Southwest, mid Atlantic, mid west etc..

....tips and tricks for goat barn, chicken coop, etc.

....more trials in the various regions for organic products such as Sonic Bloom

.....things the average homesteader can do around the house to reduce energy use and /or do to produce own energy. Again according to regions.

.....more hunting, fishing foraging articles

.....creative recycling of problem items....like tires, printers, plastic grocery bags

.....more articles about controlling debt and include ways to get a tax write off for the homestead

Keep up the good work!

15. cowgirlone

16. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

Day before yesterday I got my Countryside AND my Farm Show. I'll be reading for a week! There were two articles that mentioned using cinderblocks for raised beds. I was glad to see it, because we want to try that this year instead of timber. DH and I fight over who gets it first!

17. Stray Cat

Stray Cat Well-Known Member

I got mine yesterday...really like the covers picture...digging into it this weekend.

18. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

I have Countryside mags that date back to the 1970's. The covers sure have changed! I like the simple pencil drawings but the collage of farm/homesteading photos are interesting too. It seems that "perfect" photos are on the covers now.

I still pull out the old copies and can find a timeless treasure of useful info. So, even though there are changes, it's still priceless.

19. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Cowgirl-like I said before-you still have my award for best idea ever in the world...one that I still plan to shamelessly rip off, but call "Cowgirl Corrals" in your honor! :worship:

20. cowgirlone

:haha: :haha: Thanks Fin29, you're sure welcome to the idea.