Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oooohh pretty! After much deliberation, I took the plunge and ordered the Knit Picks needles. They came today, and they are so cool! I got the Harmony wood ones and wow! They're like night and day compared to the old Boye needles I learned on many, many moons ago, lol. I can hardly wait to start on something, but have to wait until I can go to town Friday to get some yarn! I may die of frustration before then!

One question I have...does anyone have suggestions on how to make larger than normal cuffs without enlarging the foot part? I have a heart condition, and when it flares up my lower calves and ankles swell up pretty good, but my feet don't. During these times it's impossible to find ready-made socks to fit. By the time I get them large enough for my ankles (if I can even find any!) the foot part is big enough for both my feet. That's another reason I want to make some, to tailor them to my weirdo ankles, lol. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
645 Posts
Determine how big you want the cuffs to be and cast on the number of stitches that will be that size (if starting from the top). Then decrease (probably over several rows) as you get to the heel so you have the right number of stitches for the foot. If you're doing toe-up socks, just increase over several rows after doing the heel to reach the size you need. If your cuffs are ribbed (which will make them stretchier) you might have to work out a ribbing with increases/decreases by, for example, starting with K2P2 then going down to K2P1 or K1P1 depending on how many you're decreasing (cuff down version). Hope that helps.

·
winding down
3,471 Posts
Congrats on the Harmony needles! You're gonna love them!

I'm no sock expert, having only made one pair, but changing stitch count (I like toe-up, because you can fit them to yourself as you go.) and changing needle size, or some of both, would seem to be the way to go.

Meg

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, thanks guys! I've only even crocheted a few pairs (and hated them, lol) and didn't even attempt to do this, so wasn't really sure how to go about it.

Katherine, I think I'll try them both ways (cuff down and toe up), since everyone seems to have different opinions on which is better, and see which one works best for me. I wondered if it was just that simple, now I'll have to figure out the best spots to place the increases/decreases, but it shouldn't be too hard.

Meg, I think it was you who convinced me to go for the Harmony needles, plus I just love the pretty colors, lol. :)

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
I knit on those awful needles for years. I love my addi turbos as well as the knit picks. You can knit the top of the cuff in larger needles and reduce the size of the needles as you go down. At that point, you can decide if you want to decrease your stitches. Of course, if you are doing toe up, you increase the size of your needles as you go up the cuff. I do this on my cuffs when I want the cuff longer because I have well developed (shapely) calves.

You can also, starting at the top of the cuff, cast on using waste yarn. With waste yarn and larger needle that you will use for foot, cast on the number of stitches you need in a simple (over the thumb) style. Pick up real yarn and k1/p1 around for two rounds, join in round. With smaller needles, K2, P2 for the length you will need for swollen calf. On the p2 units, p2 together to decrease as many as you need (maybe half of the p2 units?) when you get to the slender part, decrease on the p2 units that have not yet been decreased on. At the ankle, where you would normally go to a larger size needle, you may need to continue with the smaller needles to make the sock slender enough if you don't want to make decreases. If you are only making a couple of decreases, they are usually made center back.

Happy knitting!

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Maura! That makes it really clear for me, sounds like it should be pretty easy. I remember someone recommending the Addi needles when I asked for recommendations. I had it narrowed down to them or Knit Picks. I think it was the pretty colors of the Knit Picks that got me...plus they had a great sale going on, lol. :)

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
You can also simply skip cuffs of any kind. Simply don't put ribbing on the top of the sock. Bind off whatever pattern you're working on loosely. You get a 'slouch' sort of thing, but it works for exactly the reasons you need it to work.

For the record, it also works as something to pull over a cast too... ;)

dawn

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Dawn! I used to love slouch socks, back before I actually needed them, lol. I've tried several different brands at the store that say slouch socks on the bag, but they're only loose in the middle, with a tight band at the top. I'll try your method too! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts