Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we got our girls much earlier than I thought we would. I will post pictures just as soon as I get them. We had our first milking session together and just like at the original owners house, she was just a sweetheart on the stand. But

After having done a little research I'm afraid I may not have gotten her completely milked out. How terrible of a mistake is this? I milked until I was just getting hardly anything, then I massaged the udder a little bit and got some more. However, there was still milk coming out when I quit, but just not as much as before. If I bumped her udder I would get a little more milk. Should I have continued milking?

Well I guess tomorrow is another day and tomorrow we are going to twice a day instead of just once. Is it possible to increase a goats milk production and what are the best ways to do that?

TY all in advance.
downhome

·
Retired Coastie
5,077 Posts
Sounds like you did a fine job. Your next milking sessions is only 12 hours away, get a good nights sleep, your doe will be fine...

·
Pook's Hollow
4,570 Posts
I think you did pretty well for your first time! :) And the goat will survive if you don't get all the milk out. :angel:

This is what I do to make sure the udder is empty (well, as empty as it gets). When I'm not getting very much from each squirt, I massage the udder. Then, I'll take my left hand and put it behind the left side of the udder (which I'm milking with my right hand), and gently lift up and forward, while continuing to milk out that teat. That pushes the milk towards the teat, so you can get it out. When you're done, switch sides, right hand behind the udder, left hand milking. When the teats feel like empty kid-leather gloves, she's done.

Hope that helps.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,815 Posts
Keep in mind she is producing milk while you are milking. You won't ever get the last drop. :)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Oh I am soooo happy that my milking days are over.......just the thought of milking twice a day makes me shudder..........
It does sound like you did fine though.....happy milking and start saving for a machine.......your hands will thank you.

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
Congrats! You did not hurt her by not milking her completely dry the first time. You will get better at it and will be milking in your sleep :)

I milk til they are as dry as dry can be, and just a little tiny few drops are left. Remember that if kids are nursing, they bump them hard and rough so there is no need to be too delicate with their udders, it takes a lot to hurt an udder that is not just fresh and not congested. A doe that has been routinely milked doesn't care much what you do. She is quite happy that you are getting all that milk out. So bump and massage. It will not hurt her to "mess up" now and then. Goats are pretty forgiving. Just stick to a routine. I mess up my routine now and then and my goats forgive that :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts