Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can spring be far behing?:sing: Don't generally order from Johnny's but just enjoyed the lovely cover enough to hang it on the frig! Plan to do all my ordering in December as figure many many people will be considering a garden this coming year. Are you all ramping up your garden plans? DEE

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
I feel the same (can't EVER have too many seeds) I'm ordering my onions tomorrow, and wanted to pre-order the Sweet Potatoes next month, but the place reccommended to me didnt answer the e-mail--actually, it was returned. (Steele)I'd like to have everything ordered by January.
I'm planting determinate tomatoes this year, with the exception of 3 heirlooms I just have to have.Planting lot more potatoes and onions this year, and less experimenting with what I plant.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I recieved a Nichol's and Pinetree Seeds catalogs this week.

I can't think about seeds now, I trying to figure out how to pay for Christmas... sigh.

I put the catalogs up until later.

Shelly

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Wow, that is early! I haven't gotten any yet, but when I do I will save them for after the holidays. That gives me something to look forward to so I don't suffer the post holiday blues.

·
Disgruntled citizen
4,458 Posts
I have gotten a few catalogs. Highlited some things, plan to order ASAP as well. I think they will sell out early this year also and don't want to not have what I need. Yet another reason I am finishing up switching to all heirlooms this comming year.

Kaza

·
Registered
194 Posts
I am very excited about ordering. We just started gardening again the past couple years after not doing anything for about 6 yrs. We decided to get each other seeds for Christmas this year. Not very romantic but very practical. Money is tight, but we will still enjoy the present. Part of the fun is picking the seeds out together.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Oh that's right...lots more people getting into gardening now, so things may sell out quickly. I'm wanting a few special plants this year too. Guess I better not put off until after the holidays to order them then.

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
I will be ordering seeds soon to i guess. Are ordered seeds that much better than the local home depot seeds?
My local Home Depot store carried Burpee Seeds this year--so no they are not.

One main advantage of ordering from a seed company directly is that you have a better selection of varieties, can select sizes of packing that suit you best, and you get highly enthused from all of the gorgeous photos in a catalog and are more apt to try different vegetables, flowers, etc.

I also prefer to support a couple of suppliers directly as they spend a lot of money on researching and testing new varieties. We may need that research some day to combat specific plant diseases via built in resistance. That is a good reason to plant varieties that have made the All American Selection list until you feel comfortable with less yield, disease resistance, etc. that hybrids furnish versus open pollinated although they may offer them too but just not as bulletproof. http://www.all-americaselections.org/

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
We just got our first seed catalog today. Commercial seeds. Haven't gotten the first of the coming wave of retail catalogs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
We've gotten several this week--Peaceful Valley, High Country Gardens, Stokes and Starks. We always get really excited and end up ordering duplicates by the time winter is over... so last week I gathered all of our seeds into 1 place and did a little spreadsheet seed inventory--so we can look logically at where our 'holes' are and not be tempted by those beautifully colorful pics in the catalogs when all we see outside is white and brown :)

·
Black Cat Farm
1,357 Posts
ptannjr, I prefer to order my seed for a number of reasons:

1. Better selection. (I can get exactly what I want.)
2. Better prices. (Not always, but usually, when you calculate how much seed you're actually getting for the price, it's less from catalogs.)
3. Better quality. (Again, not always, but I've often had better luck with seeds from reputable seed companies than the store racks.)
4. Fewer impulse purchases. (When I'm at home, I can look at my seed inventory and see what I need, what I really listed as a "want," add the total and see where I'm at dollar-wise, and then maybe add a few treats. In the store, I might go nuts and buy stuff I already have.)
5. Casting my vote with dollars. (A lot of seed companies have been bought out by Monsanto/Seminis. I don't care for their business practices, so I choose to buy seeds that they do not own in any way.)
6. I hate shopping in stores/dealing with traffic/etc. I'd rather sit at home in front of the fire with a hot cuppa and lazily read every last word in each seed catalog for the 7th time, maybe doze off, go back to it, choose, change my mind, compare prices, doze off again, and so on. ;)

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Hey! I'm jealous!! I haven't received a single catalog yet. :(

Mine usually come some time in December and I read and plan and drool until sometime in January when we put in our order.

I imagine things will sell out faster than usual this year.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wow, I seem to get ours in December and I thought that was early! I'm always eager to get our seeds in by January too. No fuss no muss that way.

·
Premium Member
4,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
High Country Gardens...wow,love that catalog. Ordered Russian Sage plants from there last year and they were wonderful...I lvoe the way they smell and look and were easily divided this fall. I don't think my seed and book vices are any worse than some folks who love shoes or electronic devices...DEE

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
I definetly agree with the seeds and book vices-give me a choice between a new car, a diamond ring-or something for my garden-I wont even hesitate. Books--and Garden--LOL

·
Registered
644 Posts
I ordered two bunches of short day onions from Dixondale Farm. I had such good luck with them last year I decided to double up. I was gone too much and between the heat and grasshoppers nothing else survived except the garlic I got from Kathy, that did good too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts