Got my first pigs back from the butcher!

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by LizinNH, Apr 2, 2006.

1. LizinNH

LizinNH Well-Known Member

Hi all. I just wanted to share my story. I raised my first set of pigs over the winter. After a "small" amount of grief and a six pack of beer we got them on the trailer, then I waited patiently for the call from the butcher. Well, fatback weighed 235 live, 195 hanging weight. Babyback as 220 live and 175 hanging weight. We picked up six huge boxes of meat last week. I posted before and after pics on my webshots album if anyone would like to see. Use the link in my signature to see them.

A full freezer is a wonderful feeling.
    Liz in NH

2. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

OK OK! Who got the beer you or the hogs?LOL

Great job, by the way. Enjoy the fruits of your labor. :clap:

3. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Yes, that full-freezer-feeling makes it all worthwhile. The next set of pigs will be ALOT easier! And nothing tastes better than homegrown! Congrats!

4. Snafu177

Snafu177 Well-Known Member

One thing that I found that has worked to load them easier is to bring them out one at a time.Get the first one in and the others are no problem.
    Gets better after each time.

5. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Ya! And gettin those piggers drunk before loading is a GREAT idea - would calm 'em right down... Woo hoo - we're goin' on a little field trip...

That's a spectacular carcass yield - what breed were those piggers?

6. LizinNH

I have to admit the pigs got the beer. They were being downright stubborn until will got them drunk. They passed out soon after getting them on to the trailer.

I was surprised at the weight of the pigs myself. To me they still looked small, everybody else kept saying "they are huge". I will definitely be doing another set of yorkshires over the summer/fall. My neighbor has asked to raise him one as well.

Liz in NH

7. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

ROFL! At least they died with a smile! A friend says her tried and true method is chocolate covered donuts. Congrats on the full freezer and great yield! How old were they?

8. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

I used booze to castrate a big male. It makes a pig MUCH easier to handle. I fed one pig six shots of gin mixed with corn and brown sugar. The pig was bombed... and very hung over the next day.

Pete

9. bluelacedredhea

bluelacedredhea Well-Known Member

I load pigs here by withholding their feed on loading day. Then when everything is ready, supplying a treat of something smelly in the trailer..
    Shrimps (or sometimes we dine on the shrimp the night before and the pigs get the shells)..Takes a few minutes til they realize where the good stuff is..
    But once they do, up the ramp they go...
    That way we got to save the six pack for you know who :bouncy:

10. saraohio

saraohio Well-Known Member

Hey Pete, sounds a little like a Long Island Iced Tea corn. I'll have to remember the brown sugar next time. I'm sure its a great painkiller too. You sure he was hung over teh next day or just sore?

11. LizinNH

Firefly, the pigs were six months old when they went to butcher.
    Liz