Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we picked up our first cows today...wish me luck. They did calm down a little as the day went on, and even found the hay...

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Congrats !! Very nice looking cows. Do you go look at them a million times a day ..When I get a new animal I can hardly get anything done for looking at them :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are actually 2 Angus Heifers. Still a little homesick this morning, but I have been checking on them every few hours...the smaller one is about 5 months, and the other is about 7 months...the younger one seems to be adapting a little easier, and is a little more friendly. The big one keeps yelling for the rest of the herd...makes a nice echo.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Stifflej,

Nice. I raise black Angus cattle in Middle Tennessee. Were your calves thoroughly weaned before you bought them? Mine bawl constantly for about three days when I wean them, then they finally resign themselves to the fact that they aren't going to be nursing any more, and within a week, they get over the bawling pretty much completely.

Are you going to keep them and breed them, or do you have other plans for them?

Good luck,

Tom in TN

·
Premium Member
42,674 Posts
You have some nice lookin heifers there, I am sure they will calm down in a few days. Mine make the same racket when I sell their calves. They bawl nearly nonstop for a few days then get busy and go back to eating and laying around.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They were fully weened when I got them, these being my first 2, I wanted to make it as easy as possible. They will be used for beef next fall, unless plans change. Would be nice to get into the breeding piece, but do to room constraints, I can only raise a couple a year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts