Got my dog back!!!!! (Animal collector had him)

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cygnet, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

My missing cattle dog/dobie cross turned up today -- I got a call from a woman who'd had him checked for a microchip & found it and called me.

About ten days ago, I was told by several people to check with an "animal collector" about five miles from my house -- one of the people who told me this was a rescue volunteer who pulled me aside and told me on the quiet to check this woman's house if I was in Hidden Valley, and gave me detailed directions, because she'd been caught with stolen animals before and had been busted for large numbers of neglected animals before, which local shelters had had to absorb (which was how this woman knew about it). And she was only five miles from my house. (Sparsely populated area ... that's not far at all.)

So I went by - filthy property, large herd of very skinny horses, packs of dogs, dogs barking in the distance, dirty snot-nosed children, stereotypical animal collector, on about 40 acres with the house at the back. I leaned on my horn until she came to the gate. She wouldn't meet my eye and in between screaming at her children (who decided it would be fun to throw rocks at my car when my back was turned) she denied knowing anything about my dog. But something just didn't feel right. So I implied -- and honestly meant -- that if I caught anything with my dog I'd try to press charges and it would be felony theft, given that I had fliers up on every telephone pole, notices in the paper, and the dog was wearing tags and was microchipped. If ya find property and don't try to find the owner in this state, it's theft, even if it's living property ...

She denied knowing anything about my dog, but ... well, you know that feeling you get, right? So I was pretty clear on where I stood. And then I made a point of repeatedly driving arund the neighborhood and calling for my dog, so if she had the dog, she'd feel a bit ... pressured. If not, I figured no harm done. And he'd also been seen in the area, so calling him and driving around that area just made sense period. (But I had a feeling ...)

Also spoke to this woman's neighbors and one said, "Yes! That womanwith all the dogs has him! White tail tip, right? About yeay big?" -- Given you coudln't see the white tail tip in the photo, I figured that was a pretty good clue. (And the woman who id'd my dog as being seen on her property added that the 'idiot with all the dogs' had stolen her friend's dog when it got out and went over to visit the idiot-with-the-dogs.)

Anyway ... got the call I was dreaming of but wasn't really expecting (because I was also afraid my mutt was dead and figured that was about as likely as the lady actually having my dog).

Message on my voice mail this morning, "Hi, we have your dog ... we got your name from Avid ...")

SQUEEEE! Turns out the lady who found my dog found him the day after I hassled the animal-collector lady, lives four houses down from the animal collector (who is five miles from my house, remember?) and found him WITHOUT his collar and tags on. She got him scanned for a microchip, found his microchip, and called me.

WAHOOOOO!!!!

I'm picking him up tonight after work ... given the evidence of the dog being found the day after I hassled the collector-lady, four houses from her house, with no collar, I figure the evidence is pretty strongly circumstantial ... I can't prove anything, but ... well, karma will get her eventually. (Sad thing is? I was offering a $100 reward, which her neighbor will get. I'd have happily given her the $100 reward if she'd just said, "Yeah, I got him.")

Leva

2. Becky H.

Becky H. Well-Known Member

You handled that stuff better than me. I think I might have had to go ballistic the first time I was at the gate with the lady. I'm soooo glad you got your dog back. you're right, karma will get her it always does ;)

3. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

Glad you were able to find your dog. Hope he/she was in good condition.The neighbors up the road lost their great pyreneese (sp?) and it came back two days ago. They notice something wasnt right and took him into the vet. Vet told them that who ever had their dog had been beating the dog and he's now blind in one eye and will have hip problems later on. They still don't know who had their dog. :(

4. reluctantpatriot

reluctantpatriot I am good without god.

Terra Planet, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
    While I am not a fan of chipping anything, living or not, in this case it was a very good thing.

As for the animal collector, I would turn her in to child welfare and animal abuse agencies. If I find someone with my animal, who is an animal horder like that, that person can either return the animal or I would make it very clear that accidents can happen and child welfare and animal abuse agencies can be called.

As for animal abusers, "SSS" princial applies to the handling of such horrible people.

Off my soap box now! :) I am glad you have your dog back! :D

5. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Leva, so glad you found your dog. We are thinking of microchipping our Aussies. By the way we sold our goat to Carla Emery. Maybe when she kids you can come check them out for your pack animals. She is a nice big Alpine.

6. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I'm glad you found your dog. I'd turn in the collector. Maybe you can save someone else's dog from her.

7. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah, I meant to get back with you on the goat -- I've been absolutely insane here between work and stuff. I'm really sorry about that.

On chipping the dogs -- the nice thing about a chip is it can't be removed and it proves ownership. (Though it turned out Oliver DID have some of his tags on him and animal control apparently just recognized him from the fliers I'd given them. I misunderstood what the woman had said in my excitement at finding him. But he's missing the tag that had my name and phone # on it, and the collar I used for tying him up.)

He was also a bit farther away than I'd thought from the woman -- I misunderstood which street she was on. Still, I'm still not convinced that she didn't have something to do with his disappearance; my gut instincts tell me she was up to something just because of her body language when I was talking to her. (And as far as contacting the authorities, they already know about her. She's apparently known VERY well as a chronic problem.)

Oliver's back, though, crashed out on my living room floor. He's skinny, dirty, and footsore, but basically in good shape after his adventure. (Oh, and not only did he come home to his own yard, but he came home to his own yard with a PUPPY in it. Happy happy dog. He likes puppies.)

Leva

8. raggingbulltlc

raggingbulltlc New Member

glad you got your dog back.
    shows what any type of id will do in returning lost pets.

in 18 years of working in animal control its nice to hear storys of lost pets going home.

if you beleave your dog was on the premises of the hoarder watch your dog closly for hair falling out sarascoptic mange is usually present in these plases it comes about by a mite that lives in unsanintary conditions when we get it we call it scabbies.

9. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

AH Ha! If your dog comes down with scabbies, get your vet to take samples and seal them... like anything else, it has DNA evidence. They might be able to nail her on attempted theft by proving the dog had indeed been on her property.

10. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Your lucky.I had an Animal Rights person turn two of my Dogs out.Well the city picked them up,instead of holding them for 5 days like they were suppose to,they took them out and shot them.I sued the City and won.But it didn't replace my babies. :waa:

big rockpile

11. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member