Got my Deer!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tallpines, Nov 23, 2003.

1. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Now I realize I can't match Big Rockpile's success!

But, ya gotta know this.........
    My father has NEVER hunted,
    My Dh has NEVER hunted.

I had to wait for my DS to grow up and teach me.........(he's a game warden).

I didn't ever hunt until I was the far side of 50.
    So for an OLD LADY...........I'm pretty proud of myself!

After only 1 hour 10 minutes in the woods, I got a nice size doe...........just 100 feet from the house.

After skinning her out tomorrow, I can get on with the responsibilites for the rest of the week. That of being Granma and Mom and providing a big Thanksgiving dinner for the rest of the family.

"Man works from sun to sun, Woman's work is NEVER done."

2. Miss Lynne

Miss Lynne Well-Known Member

Way to go!! Good job. That sure didn't take you long either. :worship: DH is chomping at the bit to go, but the season in Iowa starts in 2 weeks.

3. jenzden

jenzden Active Member

Congratulations! Good to see another female hunter out there...
    I also had to teach myself. My father and brothers always hunted but they never thought to invite me. Once hubby and I got settled on our land I decided I wanted to hunt. Now we both hunt. I even taught myself to bowhunt. Wasn't very lucky in archery season this year, but the gun season starts Saturday. Hopefully we are able to fill our freezer. Venison is much healthier - you just don't know what is happeneing with the beef anymore.
    Jen

4. nostalgia

nostalgia Well-Known Member

Great job! I am so happy for you. I take it that this is your first one? That one has got to be the best.

Not a hunter myself, but I could be if DH wasn't able to be. I just hope I don't ever have to get out and brave the cold. He is a good hunter and I am thankful for that!

5. my first deer was a doe- and fine eating too.I like the lean meat,and the fact you know it hasn't been fed a bunch of hormones to make it put on weight.I do my own butchering, it's part of the whole thing.I just got a lamb chart, and cut it about the same.

6. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

:dance: :worship: Way to go Girl,sounds like we're going to have to get tgogether and swap Hunting tails.

big rockpile

7. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

I got my first one at age 51, then 52 and 54.
    Now I'm 58 and this is my 4th.
    And, I do all the skinnin' and cutting too.

I should refer to an instruction manual for cutting but never take the time to do that.

This may sound gross but.......I do alot of my cutting based on the knowledge I gained 100 years ago when I was a surgical nurse.

8. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I never liked to hunt.. and the year i talked myself into it, 2 hunters gave me thier deer... the next year, a dump truck whacked a small doe almost in my driveway. and then I helped a cop when he had to put down one with a crushed leg on the highway...(that girl was BIG). then my hay man gave me 3, he even skinned, and quarterd them for me.
    so far, i havent got to go hunting, now people toss their meat to me, they only want the photo or the antlers.
    People get all wigged out over roadkills, they shouldnt, if its still hot and bleeding free, a torn up quarter or a crushed skull doesnt make it "bad". it makes it badly killed but the unbriused meat is no different than one you hit with a 30.06. Indeed, often a roadkill is not as torn up inside as a shot deer, as many "hunters" cant hit a deer in a dead zone very well. they aim for the heart and that blows out both sholders, or the gutshot the thing and that makes a mess. My uncle used to hunt deer and not move for hours.... and pass up many 50 yd shots, till one strayed too close and he could literally take their head off with one shot. Sometimes he used to hunt with a massive bolt action pistol, and that just amzed me when I was young. Now i see the method in his madness, and the benifits. he never had to chase one, they never took a second step, and they were never ever torn up inside. Not to mention it was humanely quick for the deer.
    yes, he was a marine corps sharpshooter, he never missed.
    If I have to hunt, i will follow his method.... i'm not a bad shot myself. golfballs (as targets) on the rifle range at all ranges quake in fear when I set them up.
    :haha:

ok not all ranges but within 50 yds I always get my golfball.... :D

9. j.r. guerra in s. tx.

j.r. guerra in s. tx. Well-Known Member

Welcome to the brotherhood . . . congratulations tallpines.

10. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

:dance: Good for you! As for being an "old lady", you're only as old as you feel! Maybe I'll get my first by the time I'm 40.

11. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Congratulations Tallpines!! :dance:

12. I'd much rather sit tight, wait for my shot[ standing, broadside] and take it with a 22 right behind the eye[ drops them in their tracks]than trapse all over the country side with a big magnum and see if I could hit it..somehere, blow up a bunch of meat, and generally make a mess of it- or worse, not recover the animal