Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got my dormant blackberries in the mail today. but we have 3 inches of snow on the ground. should i just keep the in the garage in the cold? or what? or in the basement in the dark?

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
I'm not totally sure about saplings, but blackberries are pretty impervious. Probably to be safe, the garage would be a good bet.

·
A real Quack!
327 Posts
What type did you get? From where? Are they thornless? We're in the market for them - got's LOTS of wild ones currently. Looking for more variety.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I do not know your location but I would really be suspect of a supplier that would ship this time of the year... You are going to have to maintain a very cool temp. for them but not let them freeze... hmmmm.... I think I would wrap the roots in burlap and place in 5 gallon buckets.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
actually now is a good time to plant berries and grapes, they are dormant there and here and will stay dormant untill spring. they have a better chance of survival and i'm in missouri. i bought these from simmons berry farm. good price on thornless blackberries. i got 100 of them and 6 grapes and shipping was $120. i thought that was a bargain.

randy

·
Baroness of TisaWee Farm
2,166 Posts
Unregistered said:
i bought these from simmons berry farm. good price on thornless blackberries. i got 100 of them and 6 grapes and shipping was $120. i thought that was a bargain.

randy
I've got Simmons bookmarked from someone's previous comments about them. I want to check them out, too. How do the berries look?? I've got a couple thornless blackberries and I want to get more. Love 'em!!!!

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
they are fairly easy to propagate in the fall. just tip the ends to the ground and cover with some soil. transplant in the spring. i have about 30 and tipped as many as i could in the fall. i bought more because i wanted to get a bigger patch faster. and i could maybe trade some in a year or two.

randy

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
If you can jus dig a hole heal them in until you get ready to plant they should be ok.Don't let them set in water.

I ordered 25 wild ones from the Conservation Department last year for about $6,planted them in a Fence Row,I might be paying for it later.But I will have plenty of Pies and Jam. ;)

big rockpile

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i scraped off the snow of one of my long raised beds and planted 20 today. the ground really wasnt that bad to dig in.
the plants look good. i planted my grapes yesterday.
randy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts