got my blackberries, but we have snow

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Dec 10, 2003.

1. i got my dormant blackberries in the mail today. but we have 3 inches of snow on the ground. should i just keep the in the garage in the cold? or what? or in the basement in the dark?

2. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm not totally sure about saplings, but blackberries are pretty impervious. Probably to be safe, the garage would be a good bet.

3. Runners

Runners A real Quack!

What type did you get? From where? Are they thornless? We're in the market for them - got's LOTS of wild ones currently. Looking for more variety.

4. Lynn(Mo.)

Lynn(Mo.) Member

I do not know your location but I would really be suspect of a supplier that would ship this time of the year... You are going to have to maintain a very cool temp. for them but not let them freeze... hmmmm.... I think I would wrap the roots in burlap and place in 5 gallon buckets.

5. actually now is a good time to plant berries and grapes, they are dormant there and here and will stay dormant untill spring. they have a better chance of survival and i'm in missouri. i bought these from simmons berry farm. good price on thornless blackberries. i got 100 of them and 6 grapes and shipping was $120. i thought that was a bargain.

randy

6. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

I've got Simmons bookmarked from someone's previous comments about them. I want to check them out, too. How do the berries look?? I've got a couple thornless blackberries and I want to get more. Love 'em!!!!

7. they are fairly easy to propagate in the fall. just tip the ends to the ground and cover with some soil. transplant in the spring. i have about 30 and tipped as many as i could in the fall. i bought more because i wanted to get a bigger patch faster. and i could maybe trade some in a year or two.

randy

8. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

If you can jus dig a hole heal them in until you get ready to plant they should be ok.Don't let them set in water.

I ordered 25 wild ones from the Conservation Department last year for about $6,planted them in a Fence Row,I might be paying for it later.But I will have plenty of Pies and Jam. ;)

big rockpile

9. i scraped off the snow of one of my long raised beds and planted 20 today. the ground really wasnt that bad to dig in.
    the plants look good. i planted my grapes yesterday.
    randy