Got me a rhubarb!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by birdie_poo, Apr 18, 2005.

1. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Every year, at the farmer's market, I buy rhubarb from an organic co-op. This year, as I was leaving, I noticed a plant in a 5 gallon container. $8. I bought it! I have tried to plant rhubabr on 2 different occaisions, the first time, my emu ate the leaves off it and killed it (the plant, not the emu). The second time, the gophers ate it. Killed it, the gopher, for killing my plant ;) . I gave up on them, cause it seemed like a lost cause.

Now that I have the container thing going, I figured, leaving it in the pot (for now), it will do great in the garden that my grey water lets near. He said it woulf be ready for harvets at the end of June.

2. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Do you know if they transplant well?

3. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

hmmmm....I thought the leaves were poisonous....aren't they? Did it bother the emu?

I'd be interested in how they grow too - do they take over the area you put them in? Anyone successfully raising rhubarb?

Thx! :p

4. rj_in_MA

rj_in_MA Well-Known Member

luvrulz-
    We transplanted some rhubarb on the south side of our house when we moved here (9 years ago), and it had no problem taking. My kids have always been pretty tough on it, too. They love chewing on the stalks (a puckering emoticon would be useful here). But it just keeps coming back year after year.
    Of course, depending upon your climate, YMMV.
    -rj

5. jlxian

jlxian Also known as Jean Supporter

Many years ago, the neighbor's dairy cows escaped and ran into our garden and helped themselves. They ate down, among other things, the rhubarb, and when my father spoke with the neighbor about it he said "You know a cow's gotta be hungry to eat rhubarb!" I don't think I would have wanted any of that cow's milk for a bit, but who knows -- maybe the leaves don't bother them.

I bought three new rhubarb plants this spring and set them out. They are doing well so far -- and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

In your case, I should think that a container grown rhubarb would be fairly easy to transplant -- however the one time I tried to transplant an established plant it did not work -- I didn't get enough root.

Good luck and ENJOY!

6. muggin_girl

muggin_girl Active Member

I just planted some too. I love rhubarb and strawberry pie. I didn't realize though that the leaves are toxic. Good to know. I have the evil squirrel who runs rampant through the garden and basically calls you on. He is nasty. (I have called the city and they are considered domesticated wild life and the thing has to bite me before they will trap him ~ nice eh?) So I am hoping that he chows down and wanders off with a killer belly ache. As for kiddies eating the stocks....I use to do that at my grandmother's, tried some last year raw and almost threw up. Amazing what kids will do LOL.

7. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

SSSHHHHH don't tell anyone, but I would SHOOT HIM!!! :yeeha:

8. muggin_girl

muggin_girl Active Member

well birdie my aim is so bad I would probably end up shooting myself in the backside...would aim and shoot, pellet would bounce off a nail in the fence, hit the patio table, bounce off the door handle right into my butt......I am serious, at the fair one year the guy gave me a big teddy for my son if I promised not to play any more games...i was playing knock the milk cans down, wound up, threw the ball and well ....lets just say the guy was singing an octive higher!! :haha:

9. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

I have a list on Rhubarb.
    1. It likes well drained soil. It does not like standing in water.
    2. It must be mulched. It does not fight the weeds. Its got these big old leaves, but if it gets weedy, it will give up and shrink.
    3. Be careful what kind you buy, i have a good stand, but its stalks are green. It tastes fine but if you tried to sell it, it just doesnt. people want red rhubarb.

10. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

I have a list on Rhubarb.
    1. It likes well drained soil. It does not like standing in water.
    2. It must be mulched. It does not fight the weeds. Its got these big old leaves, but if it gets weedy, it will give up and shrink.
    3. Be careful what kind you buy, i have a good stand, but its stalks are green. It tastes fine but if you tried to sell it, it just doesnt. people want red rhubarb.
    4. I had a patch 10 years ago and thought it was completly dead. i went to mowing in the garden and it still had two small plants barely there. nice and red. i dug it up and will plant them next to the green ones.
    5. don't pick it for a couple of years, let the roots grow for awhile.

randy

11. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

I have about ten feet or so of rhubarb plants. They don't spread real fast, our new plants have started them selves from seed. And contrary to popular belief you don't have to cut off the flower-seed stems, it makes no difference to the plant. Unless you don't want it to start new ones.

I was wondering the other day, how far south does rhubarb grow??