Got him in the smoker (Pics) still proving em wrong!

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by TxCloverAngel, Dec 30, 2005.

1. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

Well... we picked up Hot Dog from the butchers today. Got him in the smoker (NOT an easy thing to do!) will let ya know how it goes... I am making a pictorial How-To page on my new web site. :) remember... our smoker is an old 500gal propane tank! lookie!

Click on pics to view full size :)

[​IMG]
    My hubby is the one in the green shirt.
    [​IMG]

2. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Man, I'd have a hard time with that being an animal I'd been friendly with, as you were. I'm OK once they look like meat, but that one still looks a lot like a pig. You're a brave woman.

3. TxCloverAngel

Naa it looks like dinner to me hehehehe
    It was hard when we first picked him up tho.

4. TxCloverAngel

well the pig is cooking.... I'm tending the fire = NO SLEEP
    so, I'm working on the Pig Pickin How-To web page.

wanna know how its going and see pics? Check it out.

Its my new farm web site... its under construction... but this page is as up to the minute as you can get! :) Let me know what ya think!

http://www.clovercountryfarms.com/page05.html

5. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

Excellent Webpage Dana!!! I cant wait to see the cooked hot dog in the morning. Cheers.

6. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Good job, Dana! Very nice site.

7. TxCloverAngel

well thank you very much! :D

I did realize something....... I had to SLOW DOWN THIS PIG!!
    I am amazed how quickly and wonderfully he is cooking!!! had to really lower temp or we'd have a Pork Breakfast!! without any of my guests! lol

8. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Was there a reason for not removing the head and further opening the shoulder area to where the carcass would lay flatter? Do you intend to turn the meat over to brown the skin side?

9. TxCloverAngel

well, its cooking w/ indirect heat (the fire box at the end of the smoker) So the skin is nice and crisp. If I were cooking him over the coals, I would definitely have to turn him to have him cook/brown evenly Lots of people butterfly them and cook them, but he fit in our smoker this way, so we didn't, I also agree w/ the school of thought, that the less you cut the meat, the juicier it'll stay. and I do NOT pierce the skin if at all possible. That's another reason I like to leave the head on... and it helps make the presentation nice and dramatic. I'll post pics... He'll be wearing his cowboy hat and sun glasses, and of course the apple in his mouth.

I hope this answers your questions :)

10. TxCloverAngel

well.. as of 9:00am the PIG IS DONE!!!!

Cooking the brunswick stew now.... people comming round noon... come on anytime :)

11. tenacres

tenacres Well-Known Member

There is NO WAY I could ever eat that! I'm already struggling with just the meat part let alone eating it while it still looks like a pig! My gosh! Your a lot tougher than I am.

12. TxCloverAngel

he is done! hard to see w/ these pics tho... I didnt want him to brown much more.. but you can see his shoulder and how nice and brown he turned out... will post the finished pics after.. guests are arriving
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

click on pic for bigger view

13. TxCloverAngel

ooooh no head in the brunswick stew for me.. just chicken ham and lotssa veggies lol I'm w/ you on that one.. ewwwwh

14. TxCloverAngel

The pig was wonderful!!! This is the first "home grown" pig I have ever had. It was so much , I guess the best way to explain it is sweeter. so juicy! everyone commented on how it was the best they had ever had!

a few people (kids) had trouble w/ pulling meat right off of the pig... (cause it looked like a pig) so I filled a platter for them.. and they all ate it just fine :)

The amount of meat surprised me too!. I mean, I knew we'd have alot of meat.... but I fed 20 people with just ONE thigh/ham/roast! 50 guests.. we just ate the thighs!

I'm gonna finish the pig pickin web page today.. so check it later.. but now I have LOTS of clean up to do. wow 50 ppl can make a big mess!

wanna know something funny tho? we were in bed before 11:30! lol We started the party too early ! lol I'm thinkin that next time.. we will start the pig early morning.. because it cooked faster than I thought.

click on pics to see them full size. the pics make him look almost burnt.... but he wasn't.. just a very deep golden brown.. BEAUTIFUL!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. bluelacedredhea

bluelacedredhea Well-Known Member

Hot Dog sure went out in style! :clap:
    Yes, there's nothing better than homeraised pork. We have an extra piglet in the barn right now that we didn't have a buyer for. I'm sitting here looking at your HotDog and thinking that maybe our little tamworth would be good practice with a smoker..with a little help from your webpage of course! ;)

16. TxCloverAngel

the chickens LOVE the hog head.

click to see full size view
    [​IMG]

17. texastami

texastami Zone 7B Supporter

GREAT JOB DANA!! :) What a great hog!! And to think, I knew "HOT DOG" when he was just a little "weiner".. :)

He turned out fantastic!!! We are smoking ribs, brisket and chicken over the holiday weekend!! DH is loving it!! :)