Got Hay?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by BJ, Oct 10, 2006.

1. BJ

BJ Well-Known Member

We are looking for large, wrapped bales of mixed grass hay in the Warrensburg, Missouri area. The drought in this area has made it extremely difficult to find feed for livestock. We we hoping we wouldn't have to start feeding hay till Nov...but no luck. We've been feeding hay since August. We are going to need more hay to make it through the winter. We finally got a good seed stock of Angus cows and the fall calves are just starting to come. Mother nature has not been kind to Missouri farmers this year.

2. Columbia,SC.

Columbia,SC. Thats MR. Redneck to you

We are in the same boat as you as far as needing hay, we only needed a few round bales and got lucky. I called the ONLY feed store that had any and they told me I cold only have 2 at a time for $28.00 each. After I got it home it was small and a first cut so it had been out in the weather for a while. I promised I would come back and buy 6 more. Later that day a farmer across from a good friend of ours told us he was selling his round bales for $25.00. I paid for 6 of those and waited for 5 days hoping he would be honest and call me when it was ready,,,, he did and the bales are fresh and way bigger than the feed store had!
    Sorry I lied to the feed store but they where $3.00 higher and the bales where 1 foot shorter!
    We only have a horse and some chickens that need hay, nothing like raising a load of cattle like you,, Good luck, we got some rain today hope it hit your pasture also!

3. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

We were hit with TOO MUCH rain this summer-- I found a place where I picked up a couple bales on the "honor system" and when I went by a couple days later, someone was loading a horse van.. I went back, and the barn was now empty!!! A shoper at the TSC yesterday was buying sleeving, so i will go to him, as well, asnd to an Alpaca breeder who has some orchardgrass hay bales for sale. All this for two sheep....geesh...i AM nuts

4. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

There is either not enough hay, or there is plenty but it is low quality. Here corn isn't as good as it has been in years past, many of the stalks grew well, but only half of the ears developed, and some didn't develop at all (entire fields). The corn silage you can get is both low quality and it isn't cheap. I am glad I managed to get some hay in, some of it isn't high quality, good for beef and heifers. But some of it will require higher quality grains. However another thing that is happening here, lower grain prices. Just got some bags of "turbo", it is made for heifers. It was 8.50 or so a bag, usually it is 9.50.

Jeff

5. NWMO

NWMO Well-Known Member

If you are interested in driving a couple hours north, I have several neighbors who sell hay. We have had timely rain all spring and summer, so the hay here has been quite good. We are located in Maryville, MO......about 2-3 hours north on 71. If you are interested in knowing more, I could talk to them to see what they have......many around here put up small squares.

I am sure my father law has several small bales for sale.

Many around here hate to deal with non locals with all of the bad checks etc, so I am sure most would deal in a cash transaction basis.

6. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

Here, near Porter, Ok, we had a terrible year until August when we got some good rains. When that happened the crabgrass took off in the harvested wheat fields and the prairie grass started. I got 5 x 6 bales of crabgrass for myself from a friend and got 60-odd bales of poor quality prairie hay off some land I spoke for earlier. I was looking at a loss in July, now it appears that at $35 per bale I will break even or show a small profit on the deal. Half of it is already sold. Farther S. hay is up over $50 per bale. Friend is going to hold on to his fertilized crabgrass and see just how high the price goes here. Lots of cattle already sold off.
    Ox

7. Hammer4

Hammer4 Well-Known Member

8. goldspur

goldspur Well-Known Member

Does anyone have some good horse- cow hay for sale in sd, perfer round or large square bales, per semi load, must be delivered to Pierre SD, we are very dry up here and a few people hayed at sept, thats how bad it is. Thanks
    goldspur