Got babies coming hopefully

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by tbishop, Sep 16, 2006.

1. tbishop

tbishop Well-Known Member

Well I took advantage of the amorous mood after the fair this year and bred six of my does, as well as 3 of my son's Netherland Dwarfs. This week is 31 days for the breedings we got done. I have 3 litters of mini lops that I'm VERY excited about as well as 3 litters of f1 velveteen lop english lop/mini rex crosses. At the time, I thought I would have to start from scratch on the velveteens, so I bred every doe I could to get going on the project. I've since bought a purebred velveteen pair, so I have a jumpstart to the program as well. Anyway, hopefully, by this time next week, we will be swimming in babies. I just wanted to share. It's nice to be getting back in the rabbit habit.

Tim B.

2. tbishop

All the does got excited and a couple have already pulled fur. I don't know why I'm burdening you guys with this- I'm just very excited.

Tim B.

3. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

It is exciting - I just had litters and I'm waiting for 2 more! It is so much fun! Let us know how many you get... one of mine had 11, the another 10. Doing good so far...

4. Bernadette

Bernadette Enjoying Polish Rabbits

Burdening us? Bring it on! If I don't have babies of my own coming right now, someone elses will do... I've got another two weeks to wait for my next two litters.

5. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

Good luck to you but you probably should have spaced out your breedings so you could find a regular market for the babies. I would sell to one pet store. When one set was ready, so were they. I was the only one they bought babies from.

I know, you're excited. Didn't mean to rain on your party. :dance:

6. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

I'm so happy for you! All my does mis-bred :Bawling: and so now I have to wait to Oct 10th to see what happens.
    Oh well.
    Good luck with yours! :)

7. tbishop

Ummm.... pet stores won't be a factor in the dispersal of babies. I have each and every baby accounted for, so there won't be any problems with unwanted rabbits. I'm oldschool, so I take advantage of all the "uses" of rabbits, not just for pets and show. I plan on keeping at least one from each mini lop litter, 1 to 2 from each Netherland litter, and whatever will help me with my velveteen program. The rest will either find new homes or go off to freezer camp to start my dogs on BARF again. I don't plan on selling any of the mixed kits. We'll see about the netherlands and the mini lops. First and foremost, though, they are livestock to me. Hope that's not too harsh for some of you.

Tim B.

8. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

Oh good. I didn't want to sound harsh myself but the rabbits you named aren't usually used for food. (how much meat is on a dwarf?) At least you have a plan.

Good luck and hoping for many babies.

9. tbishop

Well on the off chance that we have some NDs that are left (average litter is 2-4) after keepers and friends that raise them, they can be used as BARF for the dogs as the bone to meat ratio is right where I want it. on 3 lb rabbit or 2 1 1/2 lb rabbits are the same to me if I'm feeding. These should be fairly nice rabbits though, so finding homes shouldn't be too hard.

Tim B.

10. tbishop

Well I didn't get such good results. out of the nine breedings we did, we got on litter of 3 dead mini lop kits, 2 litters of a single dead mini rex/english lop f1 velveteen kits, and on healthy litter of f1 babies. Six live babies in all. No netherlands, no live mini lops. BUT we are just starting up again, and I know things won't go perfectly until we get back on schedule. I just wish I could palpate- I could be ahead of myself by two weeks.

Tim B.

11. tbishop

So I got up today and went back outside to feed and water. The mini lop that had already had 3 babies over the last week had had another one! This one was chilled, but still alive, so I put it inside my shirt. As I was walking by to go in and warm it, I saw that one of the mini lops that hadn't kindled had pulled fur overnight. I checked real quick and she had kindled one kit! So I went inside, warmed the kit, then brought it out and put it with the other solitary kit. Fostering if you will. The weirdest part is that when I put the formerly chilled kit in with the other one, I noticed the other one already had fur. The mom had kindled 3 days late, and the kit looked like a 3 day old kit. I haven't had that experience before. Anyway, I think I need to get my does on a diet and do multiple breedings on breeding day. But at least I have a little more to work with.

Tim B.

12. tbishop

Okay so either I was way off on my calendar or the severe weather change this week threw the does off. I had another litter of velveteens kindle today and a litter of Netherlands. Fat little NDs too. 5 kits- no peanuts ( I wasn't sure if the doe was a dwarf carrier or not) and 4 different colors in there! It should be fun to see them come together as they grow. My big litter of velveteens has 6 babies- all of them are different colors. So I'm quite a bit happier than I was a couple of days ago. I'm afraid to pull any nestboxes- they just keep popping them out!

Tim B.

13. Judy in IN

Judy in IN Well-Known Member Supporter

It sounds like things are going much better for you now. I'm not familiar with the Velveteens. Can you post pictures?

14. tbishop

Velveteens are a new breed in process of being recognized by the ARBA. They are a 5-6 lb rabbit with the mandolin shape, head, and ears or an English lop and he rexed fur from mini rexes. I will take pictures of mine as soon as I'm able. The babies I was mentioning are 1st generation outcrosses between an english lop and a mini rex. They will all have normal fur and longish ears. People in Texas have been breeding them for 15 years, so they are well beyond the stage of 1st generation crosses. I hadn't wanted to start from scratch, but I had a hard time location rabbits that I could afford. I did end up with a pair of purebreds that will help me get a lot farther faster.

Tim B.