Got any ideas?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by jackie c, Feb 6, 2005.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I will be selling the regular early veggies at farmers market this spring, radish, lettuce onion, herbs and some plants such as herbs, tomato, pepper and such. Has anybody got ideas of what else I can fill up the sparse spring tables with?

2. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you do crafts or paint? --birdhouses, birdfeeders, garden signs or maybe you have honey or can purchase it from a local beekeeper. I would find something to 'fill' the tables with! Or if you sew make garden aprons...Purchase heavy canvas and make the ones with bibs and pockets.. or maybe kitchen aprons and matching dishtowels from fabrics( that look like they are from the fifties )with cherries, berries and herbs. Go to yardsales, goodwills, junk stores and buy baskets, sew liners to go in them and fill them with you fresh veggies as displays. But be sure to price them JUST in case some one wants a basket.. You know "Don't sit there and "think' about IF you want to sell them".. Good luck. I wish I had the time to sell at the market--maybe in a few yrs...

You could order bulk flower seeds and re-package them in your own envelopes and labels.. Just be sure to put the orgin of the seeds and the yr on the back of the package.. You can print your own labels on the computer.. In black and white with the flower (make it look old and like it is done with pen and ink).

3. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

small evergreen trees ,garden stakes,row labels,bat house's, bird houses ,flower pots ,dandilion greens or heads.round here started tomatoe plants sell very well. depends on the market and weather lots of sun gets people thinking of there own garden. rain and bugs they look for fresh produce.

4. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

For plants to sell as garden transplants I might add: Celery, Leeks, Red Oniion, Brussel Sprouts, Red Cabbage, and other brassicas less common in the local nurseries. As it warms, then offer some starter plants like squash (summer and winter), melon, cucumber, maybe even asparagus and more of the warmer weather herbs to transplant. Ornamental cabbage and kale plants add a bit of variety and can be planted earlier.

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Have you thought of buying bulk bulbs and forcing a few each week so as to have a steady supply?

6. healing herbals

healing herbals Pam in OK

We have several "local" meaning surrounding communites, farm markets. But the largest in town, that started 2x wk last year, has joined a market assoc and they are now saying all plants have to be from nursery stock. I think that stinks. But, they are not the only game in town, so I will be looking into other markets.

7. jackie c

Thanks guys! Some great ideas here :worship:

Healing Herbs, yes there are a couple of farmers markets here with 'rules', thats why I am starting my own! I have a few 'connections' and am getting some help with my ideas.

8. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

When I planted Daffodils last fall I put a few in pots. During a warm spell last month, they started sprouting. I brought them inside and stuck them near a window. Yesterday I had my first bloom! The ones in the ground probably won't bloom for another month. Now I wish I had planted them all in pots. Could have had potted blooming plants by Valentines Day. At $4.00 for 50 bulbs, I could probably make a decent profit at $3.00 a piece. The bonus is what didn't sell this year could sell next year or go back in my yard.

9. Sylvia

Sylvia Well-Known Member

If you have clear bottles available (i.e. old wine bottles, bottles from the dollar store - but replace with good clean corks) you might consider making herbal vinegars. Keep the whole herbs floating in them as well as whole garlic, baby onions, etc. then seal the cork with wax and decorate with a raffia bow. Have a few business cards made up, trim the edge with pinking shears, holepunch a corner and loop into the bow. On the other side of the card handwrite the type of vinegar and contents.

Here's a link with 71 ideas for vinegars!
    http://www.recipelink.com/mf/0/48795

Have fun!
    Sylvia

10. jackie c

Great! More ideas! :D Keep 'em coming.

I have a good supply of perennial flowers that need divinding, and will sell off all the extras as perennial starts. I also have literally thousands of everygreen seedlings throughout my property, never thought of them as income! Maybe start some saskatoon seedlings. Herbal oils to go along with the vinegars...

11. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

How about homemade dog cookies? I bake them in cute shapes (use cookie cutters), put in a ziplock bag with a stick-on label, including an ingrediant listing. And I love this idea.....Make homemade pancake mix and corn muffin mix, maybe even bread machine mix, put in plastic bags. Sew muslin bags, 4" x8", and slip in your baking mix. Make ingrediant list on business card, punch hole in corner and secure with thin ribbon. I've seen mixes like this sell for $5-6 for a 1 lb. bag.

12. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

If you can knit, crochet or sew, you might make some "market bags" that people can use to do their shopping.

13. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

I have a simple dishcloth "recipe". I used multicolored cotton thread (Sugar n'Spice from Wall Mart, Fred Meyer, Mary Maxim) and knit these every time I had the TV on. I packaged them up two per pkg., and I think I sold them for $3-5 per pkg. Many people bought them for gifts.

I loved using these things, but the multiple gifts I made for family weren't so successful. I would use one per day and throw them in the wash. They preferred nasty old sponges.

Size 9 needle. Cast on 4 st.
    Row 1: K, across
    Row 2: K2, yo, K to end of row
    Repeat Row 2 until there are 43 st. on the needle.
    Start Decrease row: K1, K2 tog, yo, K2 tog, K to end.
    Continue working dec. row until 4 st remain. Cast off.

Graceless likes this.
  14. Randy Rooster

Randy Rooster Well-Known Member Supporter

turnips, different types of mustard

15. lonelyfarmgirl

lonelyfarmgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

ok, how about this. Its great to grow a hundred starts of what ever to sell, but what do you sell them in? Paper cups? Suggestions?

16. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

Lonelyfarmgirl, plastic cups with a hole in them for drainage would be a little more durable than paper cups. Then keep your eye open for any chance to get small plastic pots used and cheap. I used to get mine from a small store that potted things up into planters.

PQ

17. SuperMom

SuperMom New Member

Not sure if you ever do any canning, but if you do some people really enjoy eating home made canned foods. Some of the favorites of my friends and family are marmalade, jelly, jam, preserves, apple butter, apple sauce, and stewed tomatoes. Could you--or would you want to-- put something like that out on your other tables, to sell.

18. annie.oaktree

annie.oaktree Member

Edible flowers in a salad mix are always a hit at the farmers market!

19. bluemule31

bluemule31 Well-Known Member

Kale is gaining rapidly in popularity down here in the southern usa..........used to be that turnip greens were the top seller with collards and mustard coming in behind and most of the buyers were "old country folk". But Kale has gained some press about being the most nutritious of the greens, even more so than spinach and more people seem to be asking for it..........maybe that's a possibility if you haven't already thought about it. Also, I am going to plant several long rows of super sugar snap peas for us to eat raw and stir fry.....maybe they would grow up there in the land of the blue nose?

20. acde

acde Well-Known Member

If you can, then maybe a display of some goods and a sign up sheet for a lesson.