Got A Skunk!!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by midkiffsjoy, Jan 2, 2006.

1. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

We've had really bad trouble with varmits this year. Tearing up cages and carrying off chickens, rabbits, kittens, etc. It's been hell, and we've lost a lot of sleep. I've been setting a live trap, and a couple of months ago we got a possum. WooHoo. Set the trap again and threw in a chicken that something had killed. It's been quite a while, and I've been meaning to rebate the trap, and just have been too busy with everything else, and then about 15 mins ago my five y/o comes to the back door and says "Momma! There's a skunk in the trap!" and that's when it hit......the smell. Not as bad as I remember....kinda like burning tires. She'd gotten too close to it and it sprayed......and all of our windows are open (its in the upper 70's here right now). giggle. It's been dispatched. It'll smell for a week, but GOSH I had to share that the varmits LOST that one!!!! (I just LOVE NOT losing stock to preditors!)

2. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

I've caught skunks in a live trap and so far haven't had them spray. I've hooked the traps with a couple of rakes spliced together. The shunk watches you as you drag the trap. That gets it out of the barn and out into the field, just in case it decides to perfume the area. Once I get it out in the open, I feed it a .22 pill. With a head shot, they've never sprayed.

3. midkiffsjoy

I think she probably got up close and tried to poke it with a stick. You know kids...in one ear and out the other. She'll remember not to mess with stuff in the trap now.

I just used a 410 from 15' away and didnt bother opening the trap. I'll drag it out further tomorrow and open the trap up. I'm thinking about trying to use the skunk to rebait the trap (waste not want not), but I dont know what would eat a skunk! giggle. Mom just pointed out that it would have had an easy meal had it made it to the house. We just got a brand new 6 week old puppy. She's just a tiny little thing, and we've already had kittens drug off, so I'm glad skunks like old chicken!!!!

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I can't reccomend shooting one in the butt with a shotgun as he was going out the barn door. Stunk there for 2 months.

5. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

Tomato juice neutralizes the smell. I know the little one will just love a bath in tomato juice. :grit:

6. midkiffsjoy

You know I had a dog that picked a fight with a skunk once, and we tried that. It just didnt work!! giggle. I think this skunk must have been young or something because it smelled like she had rolled in crushed wild garlic. giggle. Thats why I had to go check and make sure there was actully one in the trap!!! grin. Luckily, we got her in the bath right away, and she doesnt smell that terrible. Makes me wonder if it's just that it was young, or the season??? hummm Cause its DEFINITLY a skunk, and it had a lare tail, but its head was tiny, compared to other skunks I've seen. grin. ponder. I'm gonna have to read up on it now....grin.

7. mom2girls

mom2girls mom2girls

8. Qwispea

Qwispea Well-Known Member

Got a co-worker who trapped a skunk..he didn't know what to do..another co-worker helped him out..walked right up to the trap..picked up the trap..and very calmly set it down in the pond. Trap and skunk underwater..all it took.

When they told me about it..I thought it was cruel..but nothing I could do about it after the fact.

9. midkiffsjoy

Thats how my granny took care of rats. It's actully quite fast. Still takes cahonies though. Look at it this way...... Skunks are some MEAN critters, and THEY dont care how cruel they are to our chickens and rabbits!!! Whenever someone tells me I'm being cruel, I just have to look at the wooden hutchs that were shreaded earlier this year.....It doesnt bother me so much after that. Shrug.

Besides, not everyone can use guns. (neighbors too close, etc) MUCH better than letting it starve to death while you're trying to figure out what to do. (Took that possum 2 weeks to die that way!!!)

10. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Use a pellet gun, no loud noise. One shot in the ear and it's all over. Unless the neighbors can see you doing it they'll never know it happened.

11. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

I've always covered the trap with a blanket or tarp.

When I pick up the trap I make sure the skunk is really being bounced around. I've been told they need to get their feet under them good in order to spray. I keep tipping the trap end to end, and then drop it into a garbage can of water.

Never had one spray yet.

Pete

12. midkiffsjoy

BY GODS YOURE BRAVE!!! YOU are my NEW hero !!!! giggle

I remember the night my dad shot a skunk off our roof. Thinking back I'll never know HOW that skunk GOT on our roof or why. I can only GUESS rabies HAD to be involved since I doubt they have skunk bars. Every animal I've ever seen who's acting drunk winds up testing positive for rabies. MAN...it stunk!

What's REALLY funny about this whole thing is that RIGHT before it sprayed, I hung laundry on the line. giggle......I'm afraid to go check it. Shake head. I'll bet it's gonna have to be burned. grin. sigh. shake head.

13. midkiffsjoy

Luckily I still have "old timey" COUNTRY neighbors. grin. Mr. Sheilds has even told me that if his dogs get after my goats to shoot them cause he wont have a dog on his place that'll bother someone else's stock. I carry him eggs cause he says he's too old to fight the varmits he knows having chickens would draw. New people are moving out all the time, but no subdivisons here. No real neighborhoods. Just good neighbors looking out for each other. (I really DO need to bake some cookies for Mrs. Payne....she's such a sweetie, checkin in on us all the time.....kinda makes her grin that little Joy has grown up and had kids....giggle.) That might be a good part of it.....Everyone anywhere NEAR me watched me grow up and they all KNOW I've been having varmit trouble, and that I KNOW how to use a gun safely. Around here, hearing a single gun shot is no reason for concern AT ALL. It's when you hear deer rifes go off multiple times, you have to worry. Not all "sports hunters" are comfortably familiar with their weapons, and that makes my skin crawl. But I'm very lucky when it comes to my neighbors.

14. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter