got a real bargain today.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Corky, May 11, 2006.

1. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

Called the feed store to see of they could order me a scale for my barn so I can weigh my goats before giving meds.
    He said he would check and then he paused..... I just bought this business and have the old scale in the back we won't be using if you might be interested in that.
    It is the old kind with the large platform to put things on and the weights that you add to it so you can wiegh up to 1000 lbs. It has the slide that goes up to 50 lbs. You older folks know what I mean.
    I ask him what he wanted for it and he quoted a price I couldn't refuse.
    We went to look at it and he picked a 4 lb package off the shelf and I weighed it for him. It weighed 4 lb exactly. I think he was surprised that it worked at all. After I paid him for it he ask me to let him buy it back if I ever wanted to get rid of it. He was not old enough to know how to work it so therefore thought it didn't work I'll bet. HA!
    I am so thrilled!

2. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

Cool! Sounds like you were at the right place at the right time!

3. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

i love it when things workout like that :)

4. baddogbad

baddogbad Active Member

and you taught him a valuable lesson.

when you no longer need it, i hope you sell it back to him...

5. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

Such a deal..!! Excellent Corky!

6. electronrider

electronrider Well-Known Member

You lucky dog! Grats on the find

7. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

Yes, I think I taught him something.
    I feel guilty because I got it for such a small amount and I know it is worth many, many times that but the truth is I couldn't have afforded to pay more for it than I did.
    I never dreamed I would ever own on of those.
    Now I need to find out if any one out there knows what I need to do to keep it working good. I live in a river valley and it is very damp here. I sure don't want it to rust on me. Can I just spray it good with wd 40 like I do my other tools? Is there a way to get inside to lube the gears? Any old timers out there know?

8. LiL OHNNL

LiL OHNNL Well-Known Member

what ya pay for it?

9. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Ahhhh now that brings back memories of my youth. Dad used to take me to the feed store to get weighed as they were the only place that had a scale big enough to weigh me and the wheelchair. They would weigh me and the chair and subtract the weight of the chair and there we were. Now I just guess at my weight or stop at one of those weigh stations on the turnpike :rolleyes:

10. Qwispea

Qwispea Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your excellent purchase..I have used those kind of scales and they are so cool..

I am curious though..would you be as excited about it if you paid several times MORE than what it is worth? ..or even paid exactly what it is worth?
    Why..or why not?

11. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

Qwispea, no! no! and no! :) as I said, I couldn't have afforded it! :)
    He set the price. I did not haggle over it. I am not saying what I paid. Just a low price is all. I am happy, he is happy.

12. Qwispea

Qwispea Well-Known Member

And I am happy too! :) :)

Thanks Corky for not taking offense to the questions I asked. I think that is mighty mature of you..and shows wisdom on your part. There are a couple of self-proclaimed 'experts' on this forum who would have become highly defensive toward my questions..and would have likely attacked me for asking them. (They probably know who they are..so I won't name them.)
    But you..Corky..you are one of the good ones. YOU have impressed me very much..and as the old saying goes: "You never get a second chance to make a good first impression".

Again..THANK YOU VERY MUCH CORKY..for helping to keep the smile on my face. :) :) :) :) :)

13. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

:) Your welcome! :)

14. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Well done Corky -- if I had use for such a scale I would be so jealous of your fine...heck, it's a neat old thing and I'm jealous just for the heck of it! I've always had a love of old things...even as a teen...now I'm getting to be my favorite old thing myself.

Qwispea, if you are not careful they are going to put your picture in a psychiatry dictionary under example of passive aggressive behavior :)

Hugs
    Marlene

15. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

:dance: It's home! it's home! it's home! :dance:

Milt and Nate are cleaning it up and unloading it as I speak. :dance:

I can now wiegh goats from the day they are born to the day they die of old age. I only need the one scale so now I can sell the grocery store scale I have been using for newborn kids. :) It is one of those produce scales and it sure was hard to get the little ones in that pan. :rolleyes:

16. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

I have one too, got it at an auction for $7.50, with all the weights, works perfectly. I was talking to an old timer who does a lot of antiquing and he sees them go for anywhere from 5-200, regardless of condition. Just one of those things, I guess! Congrats Corky!