Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw an add on craigslist yesterday for fryer size rabbits for $10. They were NZ/Californian crosses. I emailed and the lady said she did have several boys. Went today and got one. The daddy was a HUGE fella! Mom was the same size as my does. He was scared on the way home and stayed in the corner of the carrier but I got him here and put him in a cage and he was checking everything out. So now once he's big enough to breed hopefully I can increase the size of my kits. I'll post a pic tomorrow of him. He's black with some white on his feet.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
Sounds good enough.

Be aware that NZ/Cali crosses don't always produce litters as big as themselves when used for breeding. Part of the reason for the size is hybrid vigor. Crossing two breeds usually creates larger than average offspring in the first generation.

This does not usually carry through on successive generations.

BUT rabbits don't read the book and your results can be different. Just don't be surprised if the kits are not as big as you expect.

Have a good day!
Franco Rios

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ah well if they're at least bigger than the ones I'm getting now I'll be happy. Besides the buck I have now is quite a bit smaller than the does.....although he does the job.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.