Got a lead on Jacob sheep...

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by luvrulz, May 16, 2005.

1. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

A proven breeder with 2 lambs on her and only $80...sounds like a good deal and I wonder if anyone has any feedback. Hubby and I are going to check them out tomorrow and have several questions for the owner/shepherd.

We're not experienced with sheep so any info will be helpful too and things to look out for.... Don't know how many he wants to sell but we wanted 3 ewes and maybe a young ram.

Any questions you think I should add to my list?

2. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Things you can ask...

When have the last be wormed?
    Vaccinated?
    Hooves trimmed?
    Have they had any health problems?
    Have they had any problems with lambing?

Check to see if their horns are growing away from their face.

Take a close look and see what their over all condition is like.
    Are they shy, friendly, or?

Have fun!

3. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

I would definitely ask if she has ever prolapsed before. What is her age? Are the lambs pure bred? For that matter is she pure bred (if thats what you want)? Why is he selling her? Especially if he is only selling her. I don't know anything about Jacob sheep but these are general sheep questions. I'm sure someone will post some more.

4. Snomama

Snomama Well-Known Member

If they have horns, ask how often she has been bred to a horned ram. With Jacob sheep you have to kind of take turns breeding them w/horned and polled. We have had some eye problems (it is not the entropin but a deformity of the eyelid) b/c we did not know it was time to breed w/ a polled ram.

We don't keep a ram, but "borrow" one from a neighbor that has several rams to choose from. We will be breeding w/a polled ram this fall.

I am not sure how this works, but something about the gene that carries them being able to have four horns, if it is bred over and over causes the eye problem. We have several 4-horned lambs this Spring.

Really pay attention to the temperment. Jacobs can be flighty if they are not handled and THEN they are really bad jumpers and hard to handle! We found this out the hard way. :bash: We bought from a farmer and went to pick them up in the evening and he already had the stalled so we never "saw" their temperments, BIG MISTAKE! When we tried to herd them at all they started jumping over the 5ft. fence we had, with no problem at all!!!!!!!!!!! Got rid of all of those except the one who broke her leg b/c she was pg, she tamed down b/c of being stalled for a month and we spent TONS of time with her. She's okay now, just don't startle her.

Have fun! We love our Jacobs! Had 11 lambs this spring and I think there is nothing cuter than a Jacob lamb, and so fun b/c how they will look is unpredictable ;) :D

5. luvrulz

Before we leave to check out our new addition :p - let me respond to some of this.....

The sheperd is retiring from farming and moving to the big city of Louisville! He will be moving in 6 months or so and we heard about and will check out his flock.herd :p ... LOL

Thanks for the things to check for and please continue to post your help as we won't pick them up today and I will have more time while we prepare a fence, a shelter etc. We are only looking for 2 horned - will that be a problem later? I know they could probably produce a 4 horn (right??) later down the road....but since this guy is retiring and selling out, I wanted to get a ram to insure the breeding ability.

Would hate to buy 4 ewes and then not be able to breed them - AI is always an option too and feedback on that would be helpful. How easy is it and could I do it without my hubby's help? Just in case he prefers not to get that involved in the sheep.....(It's totally my idea nad it took some discussion and convincing... :p and I don't eat lamb..... :p

Thanks folks! Gotta go!

6. quailkeeper

I would try your hardest to get a ram. I am picking up three Shetland ewe lambs and a ram lamb Thursday. I looked into AI because I also raise Katahdins and didn't want the Sheltands crossing on my Katahdins. BUT AI is not only very expensive (for Shetlands $60 a straw, I had intended to use at least two straws a breeding) it is also unreliable from what I've found. You have a 0-45% chance of a ewe taking vaginally. Most are done thru a surgery that I don't know how to spell laproscopy ?? I think. I couldn't see the costs of the surgery being cheaper than having a ram. The chance on the surgery taking is only 45-75%. And your also endangering your ewe because of the general risk of any surgery.

7. luvrulz

We got 4 yearling ewes (no lambs yet) and he's charging us $100. We thought it was a good price... Is it? And we're not so sure but a couple of them might be pregnant, but how do you tell? They're not sheared yet, and look kind of bulky, but we really don't know. And the sheperd said that he thought one of his rams jumped through the window and got into their pasture, but he's not sure if anything took place....

He has some great Jacobs and he's looking to reitre, so if y'all are interested, let me know and I will pass his info on to you.

There was one ewe with twins on her, born Sunday 05/15 and she rejected the ram. She was head butting him and tossing him in the air! I got worried that she was going to trample him or something - she was not being very motherly!!! I really felt bad and sad and talked the guy into letting me take him home so now I have a ram. His father is the same as the yearlings I bought so I am not sure that I can breed them together. Can I?? He's got 4 horns and even after less than a day, is following us around like a puppy! Will being a bottle baby make him more human and less sheep? Will he still take care of the girls, if that's ok with being related?

He's taken really well to the bottle and is getting on a regular schedule so that part of this whole thing is going good. I posted a photo of him on our website on the wooly friends page! Take a look! :p

www.tubbsfarmstead.com

And thanks so much for your advice and sorely needed help! :D

8. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

We have a St Croix Ram and in order to catch him when he was small two grown men had to close up the pen and graple him to the ground.

Fast foward 1 yr= This Same St Croix Ram runs up to me for "kisses" on his face.
    Comes to us when we call his name and is a "Pet".
    So yes," sheep" can become "people" after a time.

9. quailkeeper

Rams are NOT something you want to tame down. Try to feed him so that you aren't actually feeding him. Use a bucket and don't let him see you pour the milk in or something. Rams can and do become very aggressive if they lose they're fear of people. There are several threads on here about bad run ins with rams. You can bottle feed as many ewes as you want, they just don't seem to turn bad when they mature. Rams are a whole other story. If I had to bottle feed a ram for some reason he would be banded ASAP. Whethers are like ewes when it comes to temperament.

10. HunterTed

HunterTed Rockin B Farm

Rams should be respected wether they are "tame" or not. If you are scared of them then you don't need to keep one at all. I guess everybody has their own opinion on the subject but I'd much rather have a ram that is tame than a ram that runs the other way when you enter the pasture. I handle all my sheep and goats on a daily basis. Both my Barbado ram and my Boer billy are very tame. I can walk out in the pasture, whistle, and they come running. I have no problem catching or handling them. I am able too manhandle them and I see no reason not to have them tame. Do I respect them........Yes Am I scared of them....Absolutely not.

luvrulz, if you feel comfortable having a "tame" ram then I say go for it. Let him know who is boss and respect him then I think you will be fine. Hope that your Jacobs sheep work out great for you. They are really neat looking sheep and I hope you get 1/2 as much enjoyment out of them as I do from my sheep.

11. bergere

bergere Just living Life

luvrulz
    $100.00 is a good price for a Jacob ewe if it is Registered. The Jacobs around here seem to be going between $250.00 & $350.00.

And from lots of past experience with this breed...what ever you do for your own and others safety,, do not make a pet out of a Jacob Ram, Please.

12. luvrulz

Well, we got all 4 ewes for $100 and no, they're not registered. Not really interested in registering them - what benefit is that? Mostly if you're showing them and selling them as registered? Here in southern Ky, it's not something most people would be apt to do. Or interested in because people just can't afford to pay those kind of prices......

The ram will probably be banded as soon as he gets a little more settled. He was just born on Sunday and can't walk very well - don't know if that is because of the treatment from his mom. She was flipping him thru the air like a pancake! No fooling! I think one of his legs is injured and I wanted to wait and see if he stopped favoring it. The guy gave him his shots and banded his tail before we left his farm and I didn't want to stress him out too much all in a week! We will be fixng him though unless..... He's got the same daddy as the ewes we bought and we didn't know if it is good to breed him back to the ewes. I've seen messages about that, but is it a good idea?

When can I start feeding this ram bottle lamb other stuff? He should get about 30 - 40 ounces a day? That's what this guy told us. He has a little case of scours and I am writing down how much and when I feed him so I have a better idea. I think at the beginning I was over feeding.....only been doing this 2 days and so I am learning too!

Any help is great! Thanks a bunch!
    Joellen