Got a cage!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Timedess, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Timedess

Timedess Guest

Well, thanks to our local Freecycle group, we now have a big setup for our buns. It is 10' long; 4 cages together, made from wire. My dh will have to build me a stand for it, and a cover to keep the weather off of the rabbits. We can make those out of cedar, surely! :) It is kinda banged up and rusty, and will need quite a bit of fixing up before we can put the bunnies in it. It has a setup for automatic watering, too, and it came with feeders that clip to the side of the cages. Overall, I think that once we get it all cleaned up, it will be right nice!

The folks also had a HUGE thing... he said it was a section from the back of one of the "chicken hauler" semi trucks we see so often here (We live in Tyson country here), and it had 16 sectioned cages in it! It would be real nice, except we couldn't get it to our house without a big pickup. We don't have enough rabbits to need something that big, anyway.

One question... do we need to get rid of ALL the rust? how could we do that, and keep it from rusting again? I wouldn't think painting the wires would be good to do...???

2. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

Do not paint the wires. Rabbits have this bad habbit of chewing and licking everything. You wouldn't want the rabbits to consume paint...and they would.

Scrub the cages with bleach and let sit in the sun to disinfect the cages. No way to get rid of the rust so use the cages until you can build some new ones.

3. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

4. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

We don't use seperate cages for does and bucks that are fryers because we butcher at 8 weeks, before there is a need for seperate cages. But, we do breed some as pets and of course at about 8-10 weeks old we seperate. I agree with the other posters, more is better especially if free!!!

5. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

======

Hi Rzru ,,
    Well I've mainly bred for our home use ,, I 'aim' to rebreed a doe at 6 weeks and I start weaning off at 7-8 weeks ,, to give a space to the doe before the next litter is born ,,,,

I try to explain to my husband that the fryers are big enough at 8/9 weeks for our freezer ,, but I've had to show him by weighing the fryers of different ages ,, that there is not that much more weight gain when he's delayed butchering till 10-12 + weeks ,,

(He has this mental thing that at 8 weeks they are not 'old' enough or 'big' enough to butcher ,, he keeps saying he wants a bigger carcass, I had to 'fudge' about the ages ,, of some of the fryers we butchered last time ,, I do all of the caretaking and had mixed the fryers from several litters into growout cages ,, some were 8 wks some were 10 some were 12 weeks ,,, he mentioned the difference in the carcass sizes and I confessed about the ages ,, he's now almost convinced that they don't HAVE to be 11-12 weeks lol )

,, the delays by either weather or hub putting off doing the deed is the reason I wean into sexed cages ,,

LOL Right now I have 8 does (3 w litters 9/9/7 in the cages with them) 3 bucks and 7 growout cages holding 35 8 wk old fryers ,, lol I'm on the lookout now for more used cages myself ,,, I've either got to have more cages or cutback on raising ,, I have 21 'holes' and its not enough cages .. ;-) ..

Tammy

6. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

"LOL Right now I have 8 does (3 w litters 9/9/7 in the cages with them) 3 bucks and 7 growout cages holding 35 8 wk old fryers ,, lol I'm on the lookout now for more used cages myself ,,, I've either got to have more cages or cutback on raising ,, I have 21 'holes' and its not enough cages .. ;-) .."
    Yeah, i know what you are saying!! We butcher at about 8 weeks for the feed conversion reason and also because we have found that when they pass the 8 week old mark the meat will only start getting tough. We have run out of room temperalily and have set up some cages outside until our buyer who is a school ag dept. picks up there rabbits. They have to get them soon because it will start warming up here soon and we don't have room in the swamp cooled rabbitry for the outside rabbits. We also mainly breed for our home use, thats how it started out anyway :no: We got into the pet market because we had some small breeds given to us. We are kinda thinking about gettin out of that market though.