Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=b4a13c202i704163&PartID=704163

This is what my element looks like on my oven. However, when it is at full bake, the bottom horizontal bar does not glow. The whole thing glows from the left side all the way around to the bottom right side and there it stops. Is this the way it is make or is it supposed to glow all the way around?

Hope this makes sense.....

·
on furlough-downsized
1,516 Posts
It should glow all the way round. You can get a new one, or deal with the uneven heat til it goes out completely, then get a new one..... :D

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have always had an element to just....die completely. But I have never had one go bad and to light 2/3 of the way. Have you?

thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's not normal but it can happen. Elements are made by tightly winding Inconel (or other) wire into the center of the sheath and then filling with Magnesium Oxide. This is over-simplifying but you essentially have a tightly wound wire in the center of a sheath separated by powder. Sometimes the manufacturer may not wind the wire tight enough so there won't be too much heat generated by the areas of the element where the wire is loosey wound. It's not a problem but will probably fail sooner than your warranty period. Good news is a new element is cheap and the problem is probably not with your appliance.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mine is about the same, the front gets hotter then the back. I just turn around whatever I'm cooking about halfway through its baking time.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does yours get red hot to a certain point then stop?

Secondly, does this hurt the oven or use more electricity?

thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Does yours get red hot to a certain point then stop?

Secondly, does this hurt the oven or use more electricity?

thanks
My element is in a bit of a different shape (more symmetrical), it stops glowing a couple inches from the back of the oven on either side, this may be normal its an old used apartment stove I picked up cheap about 8 yrs ago.

I just keep spinning cakes and pies.

As for using more electricity "I'm clueless there".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts