Got 2 piglets. They sneezed all the way home.

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Ark, May 18, 2006.

1. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

:shrug:
    I'm guessing this is a bad sign. Our 2 new piglets sneezed all the way home. :help:

Are pigs pretty smart? we put them in their pen and since they didnt seem to notice the food and water we moved it over really close to where they were digging around and they have ignored it. Do I need to shove their noses in it or something? LOL :shrug: We got food from the guy we bought them from.

They are about 35 pounds each. Girls I think. LOL :rolleyes: :p

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Look at the pigs straight on from the nose end. Observe to determine if their nose is straight or turned to one side and post your findings. Pigs are real smart! Everything is just strange to them but they will figure it all out.

3. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Just keep a close watch and if they have a labored breathing, or a deep congestive sound give them some antibotics. Our pigs sneeze for a few days because they are coming from wood deck to dirt and grass.

We always show our pigs the food and water and they will eat and drink when they want to. We feed them 24 hrs/7days with a selfloading feeder.

Good luck and enjoy them as they can be very comical. :duel:

What type did you buy? :1pig:

4. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

How'd you make that pig face? :p

:)
    Hmmm.... observe their noses>? what for?
    Well, now you've got me curious and I was just fixin to go check on them so I will report back soon!
    We bought Chester Whites, and they were in concrete pens, no dirt. And they had labored breathing before we loaded them, but he said they had gotten overheated because he was moving them to the closer pen. They sneezed in the crates which didnt have anything in them at all.
    They are already enjoying the dirt and leaves in their pen!
    BRB

5. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

OK, here ya go - a pic!
    Cant tell for sure about the noses. LOL
    He asked me if I minded about them having spots because for show they cant have any. Since we arent showing it doesnt matter to me at all.

[​IMG]

6. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

A concrete pen. :nono: :flame: Whenever you look at any pig's nose from any angle it's supposed to be covered in dirt! Cuuute!! :1pig: :1pig:

7. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

look for straight noses. If it is crooked at all, it is very likely rhinitis. They are not pure chesters if they have spots. That one in the picture is a cross bred. Probably with a hamp or belted cross. They will find their food and water. They will spill the water first thing. If they pee from their belly, they are barrows or boys. If they pee from behind they are girls or gilts.

8. agmantoo

Does the pig in the background have its nose slightly distorted and turned to the right? It appears to me that it does but it is difficult to be certain from looking at the pic.

9. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Hmm.... do you know how hard it is to get a pic of a pig looking STRAIGHT at the camera? :grump: I give up!!!
    I really cant tell but they may be slightly crooked. I'm going to have to do some research on rhinitis.

10. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

How are they doing?

11. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

They are eating very well, have adjusted to their new feed, but are still coughing and sneezing. It's got me a wee bit worried that they haven't gotten better yet! :1pig: :(
    I have been giving them whey, kefir, and milk on a rotating basis and they eat ALL their dry feed when I add the good stuff to it.
    My 9 yr old daughter is QUITE enjoying them! She goes into their pen to check their feed and water without being asked, and feeds them every day quite happily. :p

12. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

OH yeah - meant to ask...
    ...the guy I bought them from said to give them about a pound of feed per day/each pig. They weigh 35-40 pounds. Is that right? It just doesnt seem like enough. If I give it to them dry they eat about 3 pounds a day total, but if I put milk or something in it they eat a lot more.

13. agmantoo

Pigs that small need 16% protein minimum and they should have feed available at all times. Call the person you got the pigs from and ask if he has been having problem with rhinitis. If he says no, then worm the pigs.

14. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

CONGRADULATIONS on getting your pigs Rachel!!! I hope that helps with your milk overload!!!! grin.

15. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Thanks Joy!! :) Come on over in a few month for a pork dinner!! LOL

Agmantoo, I am feeding them an 18% pig starter, and they get enough that the bowl is rarely empty. If they eat it all up right away, I go add more, or my daughter does. They seller told me that he feeds "something he mixes up himself" that is 18%, and almost powdery looking.... ?
    Also, he said they get free choice food, but only eat a pound a day. It seems like that might have been a wild guess on his part, because he stood there guzzling his beer (11am) and thinking hard for several minutes before he said "One pound each?"
    LOL
    What do you worm pigs with? I doubt if he would tell me the truth about rhinitis.
    Thanks so much for your help!!
    Rachel

16. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

They look absolutly ADORABLE! CONGRATS! I hope that they stop sneezing, they might just have dirt in their snouts, good luck. Bye.