Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Hunting is my life
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went not to long back to check on my goats I have sold to certain people some people was taking great care of the goats when I thought all was well so I went on down toward tn where 2 of my other goats was and when I saw them I wasn't happy so I talked to the people that bought the goats and told them I wanted them back because they were not being taken care of correctly. The people didn't fight with me because they knew I knew what I was talking about so I took both of my goats home that day. They needed wormed,treated for Cocci and a nice feed of grain. They were under weight because when I sold them one goat weighed at 130lbs and the other weighed 95lbs so when I got them home and weighed them one weighed only 70lbs an the other only 90lb. These 2 will never leave our land again. Now they are happy to be home but only thing is they do not want to leave our steps they sleep on the steps everynight unless it rains then they will go to the barn. It seems to me they are afraid to leave our side.

People needs to learn how to care for livestock or other animals before buying them.

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
That's amazing. It would never occur to me to go around checking on goats I've sold. I figure at that point they are the other person's goat and the other person's responsibility.
mary

·
Hunting is my life
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mary tx I guess I different from others. I had to check on them because I was down that way so I always told them I would stop by sometime to see how things were going. Maybe I shouldn't had but when it was my 2 main favorite ones I just had to.

Odd Strange or whatever but I'm a animal lover. Gosh it hard to type with a puppy at keyboard.. Hope nothing is spelled wrong.

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
I guess I figure if God would trust me with children, I can trust others with goats. Besides, once they are sold, they are not mine.

But, whatever works for you. :)

mary

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I think it's a good thing to do!

A lot of people that buy from me are from too far away, but if they are close enough I try to keep in contact. Eventually, it can lead to a friendship, and that means peace of mind knowing your goats are well cared for.

One guy that I sold a bred doe to, kept in contact, brought me the kid to be disbudded (he drove an hour for that!) and seemed really nice. The next year, he brought more kids to be disbudded, and later I happened to be going down that way anyway so he invited us to stop by.

ALL the animals were in terrible shape. No food or water available. Living in a mud hole. VERY scared of people - he admitted to hitting them when they were to scared to jump on the milkstand. He said he only gave them food "when they need it" which according to him was once a day. I told him that those conditions were unacceptable. He did feed and fill up the water buckets while I was there. Later I was able to talk him into selling me the original doe back, plus her daughter. He kept a set of twins tho. :flame:

I dont know why he still talks to me - I am always lecturing him about how he needs to care for his animals. LOL

SO, I am glad I was able to go check!

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
That's amazing. It would never occur to me to go around checking on goats I've sold. I figure at that point they are the other person's goat and the other person's responsibility.
mary
Gotta say I agree with Mary. While I try to find my animals good homes, I do not check up on them. Once they are gone they are no longer mine & I don't feel I have a right to tell someone else how to raise their animals. There are many people on this board & we all do things differently. That doesn't make one person's way of doing things anymore right than another's. I for one would be OK with a visit from someone I bought goats from, but I would not want them telling me how to care for them. If they were very neglected & looked it, I would offer my opinion on what might be wrong & what they could do to fix it, but I would never tell someone they had to give me the goats back just because I didn't feel they were being cared for properly.

And not to sound snotty, but if they were your two main favorites, why did you sell them in the first place? I am in no way advocating the abuse of animals. I do feel everyone should do their best to care for any animals they have in a good & kind way. However, I do not like being interviewed & questioned like I am adopting a human when I call about an animal. I definitely would avoid someone that was going to check up on me for whatever reason. I like to call buyers to make sure things are going well, but once the money changes hands, it's really not up to me anymore.

Hope the goats put some weight back on. Maybe they would have been OK if you would have told the people what they needed to do to get them back to health. If I had paid for an animal I wouldn't give it back so easily. Maybe they were happy that you came along to take them off their hands. I do agree that too many people jump into owning animals without finding out how much care is involved.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
So.... Mary and Wendy - you wouldnt want the peace of mind in knowing that the goats you sold were well cared for? If the buyer was totally fine with you stopping by, you wouldnt feel a certain responsibility to check on the animals that you sold into that home?

I cant see this situation coming up too often because a lot of times, the buyer is never heard from again, or they live too far away for any checking.... BUT, there is nothing wrong with what white eagle did!

Yeah, maybe yall are different and would NEVER do such a thing, but we arent all like that! And it would be WRONG, IMO, NOT to speak up if you saw hungry thirsty animals with no shelter. You wouldnt say a word? Just go off and leave them to suffer???????????????????????

When white eagle said he/she wanted the goats back because they werent being cared for properly, the owner did NOT have to agree!! obviously, they were fine with letting them go, or they wouldnt have done it.

I am STILL trying to get weight on the second doe I bought back from the guy that I mentioned in my other post. She has been here 4 weeks now and is still quite thin.

Wendy said: There are many people on this board & we all do things differently. That doesn't make one person's way of doing things anymore right than another's. If the animals are starving, and without their basic needs, then it is WRONG! Adequate Food, water at all times, shelter. If the goat is skin and bones, the food is not adequate!

Wendy said: And not to sound snotty, but if they were your two main favorites, why did you sell them in the first place? Havent you ever had to sell animals for financial reasons? Maybe you need to buy hay and the price of hay is ridiculous? Maybe your herd is getting too big for the amount of land you have? :rolleyes:

Maybe Wendy and Mary didnt mean to sound so snotty, but that is just the way it seemed to me. Like, "Gee, cant believe you would do something like check up on an animal you sold." as if there was something wrong with that.

·
-Melissa
980 Posts
wow ark. this is a good example of how people can "hear" differently with every post. I didn't hear any kind of "you are an evil person to take away an animal that was bought and paid for" from Wendy or Mary. I just herd the shock that somebody would have the balls to do it. and I feel the same way. It's not the whole rescuing thing...it's like, well for lack of better explaination, it's something someone would do for a dog or cat that has been adopted out and not paid for. since I view goats as livestock this kind of behavior just sounds, well, peculiar. kinda makes me want to cock my head to the side and say "hmm" lol.

-Melissa

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Melissa, maybe they didnt mean it snotty, it just sounded rude to me. Like "I would NEVER do such a thing!"

But, surely, if you found yourself in that situation you would do something?

·
HillHippie
383 Posts
similar situation with me several months ago...
i knew the guy who got my two goats. they were not only my 2 favorite, but orphaned bottle babies that i had raised. i was very sad to see them go, but i thought they would be happier in his herd of 25 other goats....
we talked on the phone many times and they were always "doing great!". 6 months later i went to check on them... long story short... i took them both immediately to the vet. the vet just shook his head and said he had never seen anything in such bad shape.
one died the very next morning. and i still have one happy healthy girl that was pregnant! so add one wether. lol... and now add one saanen. i sure missed having goats. i must have been crazy to think that i could live without them.
sorry... wasn't trying to hi-jack your post. just saying, i agree with checking up! if someone adopts a child, they definately get checked up on! in my mind, its about the same.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I personally decided I would not be checking up on goats I sold. I sent a care sheet with everything I could possibly think of that they might encounter, and 2 phone numbers for me and informative websites including goat 911. I tell them that if they are ever unable to care for them, to bring them back and I will take them in. I refused to sell my buck twice to different people who wanted him for a pet for a young child, NO WAY. and refused again to someone who drove by and wanted him because "the horns looked cool". I try to make sure they have a reasonable chance at a good home, I have to leave it at that, I think I would drive myself crazy if I went around checking on every animal I ever sold or adopted out. I think I will feel better when I sell wethers for meat. i can totally understand wanting to check up though, it is painful to see any animal neglected, but especially ones you lovingly or dutifully cared for at some point in their life.

·
Nubian dairy goat breeder
4,465 Posts
it would not come in my dreams to check on other peoples management. :rolleyes: i have not sold too many goats yet, but i would have to travel far to check them out. it is much better to have a good relation chip with new people and encourage them to come back if something goes not the way it should be.
if i ave a favorite goat,btw i do ;), i would not sell her.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Yeah, some people need to read a post better. I said there is nothing wrong with checking up on goats you sell and offering advice if you feel they are lacking in something. I just do not feel it is right to tell someone else they are caring for them wrong & actually have the nerve to take them back. If they aren't too far away, advice could be given & you could go back every week to see if there is improvement in condition.

I also send a care sheet with my e-mail & phone #. I have had many people call me & I have seen some of the goats I sold. The ones I have seen are doing fine. I have also had people bring me goats back when they could no longer care for them. BUT, I would never dream that I had the right to go on someone else's property & take goats that they paid for just becuase I didn't like the way they looked.

·
Hunting is my life
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok to stop all theses questions why would you sell your favorite goats or etc..

Well here is why--->> We have been in the worst drought in years which is DA3 no rain = no hay, no water so have to sell. We are still in drought but at least I have grain and water in a big tank now.

Why did I get my goats back here is why--->> The people I sold them to knows me plus I told them how to take care of them but they didn't and was going to let them either starve or die of Cocci..

Next yes I did get the goats back but they also agree to it plus said they understood why I wanted them back.

Yes they bought them an I offered to give them their money back but they said no because they wanted me to take the money to use to get the goats everything they needed because they didn't want them no more.

Next thing everyone does everything different including me on animals. When someone doesn't want to keep them or let them be starving I will get them back by either giving them their money back or if they agree with me they will give them back.

So maybe this will stop all the questions. Lots of you may not go an check on your goats but when I'm right down from a person place I will go and check on them like when I give away puppies I do sometimes check on them or people will e-mail me photos of them. No I do not go an check on every animals I give away or sell but will if close by will stop in if someone agrees with us stopping in to see how things are going.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
i would not want a goat from you
I agree. That is fine that you stop in & check on animals. It's nice that they let you take them so you could get them healthy again.

BUT, once sold & money is paid, sellers do not have the "right" to go back & take animals they think aren't cared for properly. In this case the buyers agreed & that is fine. I just wonder why some people feel it is their "right" to check up on buyers & to take back animals if they feel they aren't cared for properly? I really don't mean that in a bad way. I really would like an honest answer as to why you feel it is your place to keep tabs on the animals you sell? Yes, you want them to have a good home, but if you are that worried about the care they receive, then why breed & sell in the first place? I know someone that feels this way. She finally quit breeding because she couldn't stand to think that they wouldn't have as good a home as hers. To me, that's the way to go. If you are going to be concerned about every animal sold, then don't sell any. It's really not that hard. How are you going to care for them properly if the drought continues?

·
Registered
187 Posts
OUCH... this is kind of a touchy subject... I take great care of my animals but I still don't know if i would want the sellers (if I don't really know them very well) stopping by and critiquing me in my own home :flame: . I do know some of my sellers and they buy chickens-ducks etc. from me but I would probably never talk to them again if they tried to tell me i wasn't taking care of my animals.. when i know i am... And I certainly would never give them back :nono: ... i would probably lose it if someone asked me too. people care for their goats differently.. me i like mine chunky :rolleyes: and i bathe and groom them all twice a month... and disinfect everything-- barn-feeders-- to me everything has to be clean(as it can be) HOWEVER i know not everyone can do that and I know lots of people like thinner goats... and i would not try to tell someone differently and PUSH my opin on them..

WHITE EAGLE-- I am glad you got them back if they were truely not being cared for, and if the guy was happy to have you see them maybe it was a cry for help.

I think you did nothing wrong... I think some people are looking at it as you pushed yourself onto the guys place and took his goats because you view how to care for them differently than he did...

BUT that was not the case correct?!? he invited you and knew he was really not able to care for them and they would die without help right? If that is the case than GOOD FOR YOU!

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION... and really it means nothing... :angel: except to me

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I bought a donkey years ago.
One year later the guy came and checked on her.
Wanted to buy her back. Not because she was not cared for but because she was not the burrow he thought she was but a beautiful long legged black French donkey. He got her as a baby in a trade and she was an ugly wooley orange thing when I got her.
I was pleased he cared enough to check up on her. I was not offended.
I did not even consider selling her back to him though.
His loss, my gain.
She would not let him come near her and she stayed right by me so she could protect me from the stranger. I was very proud of her.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts