Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've lived on this farm for almost 50 years. When we moved here(mind you, houses are a mile apart) a lady I went to school with, and another neighbor lady, called me on the phone every night. One persisted for years, she talked on and on, I've been known to lay the phone down and only pick up every 15 minutes to say"oh, No" then go on, as I worked at a factory full time days. So tired every night.
Now, both of these people have passed on-BUT-their families insist I'm the gossip of the neighborhood-as a matter of fact, when a new woman moved here from Florida, and came here for me to teach her how to use a pressure canner-she was called and told to stay away from me-as I was such a gossip!!
I live alone-only see son or daughter once a week, go to town once a month-IF I have to-so--where would I find out anything to gossip about? I've figured it out--either one of the people on HT--or my 3 dogs-are telling the neighbors that I'm doing something I'm not! Oh--and I dont use a phone either!! I guess my feelings are hurt, mostly-because it is a lie-and keeps being perpetuated. Guess I just keep quiet-and take it. Did I say I dont even know the ones talking--only to wave if they go past when I'm mowing? I'm 77 years old-too old for such bull.

·
Registered
999 Posts
When we moved here approx. 16 years ago, the dust was not even settled when the nearest gossip came over and told me "You won't be moved in good before everyone around here knows everything about you". I saw every shade of red, made my blood boil. So, everytime I was asked "where are you from?", I would say a different southeastern us state.

Never knew what difference it made. I know very few people, keep to myself, stay out of local politics and gossip. No friends because I'm not from here, neither are my ancestors. That is just the way it is. I used to care but not for 14 years now, only here because of central location for dh job. Will miss no one here when we move.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Shortly before DH and I got married, one of his neighbors informed me that my future mother-in-law was the worst gossip in the neighborhood. Actually, MIL is the third worst. The worst was the lady who warned me, the second worst is my BIL.

OP, were in Wright county, wanna come over and have a good gossip session?;)

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shortly before DH and I got married, one of his neighbors informed me that my future mother-in-law was the worst gossip in the neighborhood. Actually, MIL is the third worst. The worst was the lady who warned me, the second worst is my BIL.

OP, were in Wright county, wanna come over and have a good gossip session?;)
Thanks-but I don't know anything to talk about-LOL

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
We will have been here 14 years the end of this month. In all that time, I've spoken to precisely 2 of my neighbors...the lady way up towards the end of the road when a couple of her calves got out (I stopped to tell her) and her son right at the end of the road (again, her calves got out, but couldn't get her to the door, so I went to him).

It was weird, too! When I knocked on his door, I was met by him and his entire family...they opened the door only about 3 or 4 inches and peeked out at me through the crack. I introduced myself, told them why I was there, he rolled his eyes, said "thanks", and shut the door. Made me feel uneasy, so if their calves get out again, they can discover it themselves.

No gossips 'round here!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I'm still back trying to figure out how they got your phone number?? That's not something I give out easily, to anyone. Actually, haven't had a land line in close to 10 years now and don't want one. We never talked on it anyway but still seemed to be expected to pay a $70 bill every month. Stopped the insanity.

If there's gossip persisting about you being a gossip and you're not gossiping, I guess we know who the gossips are...

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,915 Posts
Try not to let it bother you. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together will soon realize that you are not spreading gossip, even if some busybody tells them you are.

It's just all the connections in a small community, everybody ends up knowing a lot about everybody else, without really trying to. We live outside the city limits, didn't socialize with hardly anybody from the town, so we used to be fairly immune to it. But now we have family living in town plus DH works in town so we are "in the grapevine". Our lives are too "bland" to generate much gossip anyway, if anyone is talking about us they really need to get a life!

Reactions: MOgal

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Phone numbers are in phone book--have had same number for years. So funny-about the 2 canners--except the one she was trying to learn was a Presto--mine is the All-American!!
Guess I shouldnt let it bother me so much-but I may only speak to one daughter a week-and never go anywhere.
Wish I knew them better-so I could point out they are the ones gossiping-to say that I am. Same families that tried to convince my Truck Driver Hubby that I was stepping out on him!! I must live a glamorous life after I'm asleep No wonder I'm always tired--here I thought it was my A-Fib.... Thanks, everyone--You are all true Friends!

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Years ago me and my wife was having trouble, I was seeing a woman in KC.I was writing her,the woman at the Post Office was opening my mail coming and going then spreading all over town of 350 what we was doing.

I thought the neighbor that told me was kidding until she told me word for word what was wrote.

big rockpile

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Years ago me and my wife was having trouble, I was seeing a woman in KC.I was writing her,the woman at the Post Office was opening my mail coming and going then spreading all over town of 350 what we was doing.

I thought the neighbor that told me was kidding until she told me word for word what was wrote.

big rockpile
I have to ask... Was that woman at the post office employed long after you made that discovery? I've heard rumors that bad things can happen to postal employees who decide they can just open the mail if they feel like it. (?)

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Ceresone I don't know you at all except for what you post here. You seem like a very nice and generous person to me.
I can't wait to retire and move back to MO. Ignore the busy bodies and enjoy life, you live in a beautiful state.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I used to have a neighbor who would ask leading questions about us, some really private stuff. I have an ornery streak a mile wide so I fed him all kinds of "manure." Then I waited to see how the tidbit made the circuit among the gossips in the little community around us. I had so many good laughs. The fun part was that people in my close circle of friends knew what I was doing and I could keep track of whom I could trust via their reports on what had been told to them. I actually had one woman who commented on one of my "stories" to me personally and when I denied it, she almost called me a liar. Of course, I didn't share real stuff with her but as I said, it gave me something to laugh about.

Ceresone, I've quoted my teacher who used to write wise sayings on the board and another favorite was "When people speak ill of you, live so others will think them fools." Sounds like you've lived one of those lives. Besides, if the gossips are talking about me, I figure it gives the next topic a break. You're too nice to let them hurt your feelings, hon.

Illigitimi non corborundum. Not sure I spelled it right but loosely it means don't let the ones who don't know who their fathers are wear you down. (Hope I don't get into trouble over that...)

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
I understand the OP's feelings - that would upset me.

Now, in defense of small towns, at lot of time they do seem nosy, but truly mostly it's just a kind interest. Many times they are trying to establish a connection with someone they know - it's just a form of caring - really it is. They are usually there when you have a problem as well.

I also understand about not being involved. When we moved to this town, I had helped with far too many showers, made tons of finger sandwiches, and barrels of "Primary Punch", taken math and science teams to matches, ridden thousands of miles on band buses, etc, etc.

I made up my mind when we moved into this small town, I would not get involved in anything - and I haven't. I am not anonymous, though - that's impossible. My husband is just the opposite, he knows most everyone.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
I have to ask... Was that woman at the post office employed long after you made that discovery? I've heard rumors that bad things can happen to postal employees who decide they can just open the mail if they feel like it. (?)
Truth I didn't press it as I should have and left town right afterwards. Thing is I could do on one side of town it would beat me home.

big rockpile

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Well be glad they dont consider you the "the BIG B"...some of our neighbors think of me as that since we keep the gate locked and think I am the one who instigated it. The gate is locked for safety purposes and if a person really wanted to visit they would call and we would open the gate..

I just always consider the source and move on~:gaptooth:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts