gosh-awful mess

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ratherbefishin, Jan 8, 2005.

1. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

I got up this morning and there was molasses all over everything.I keep a gallon jug of Molasses up in the cupboard over the fridge , and behind that I generally have a bottle of wine.I don't drink it that often , but having teens around, keep the wine at the back of the cupboard-accessable, but out of sight.I guess he and his buddy were checking out thesupplies last night after we went to bed and accidently knocked over the molasses-and I hadn't tighted down the lid when I used it the other day becuse I didn't want it to get stuck.Anyway, the molasses is all over everything, all over the shelf,down the fridge, on the floor.What a heck of a mess!!

2. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

Oh yuck! what a mess the kids will have to clean up! too bad and its Saturday too!:eek:

I wish they were my kids! I could use the refrigerator moved out and cleaned under, behind, get the cupboard wiped out, wood work washed down...all of it! can't wipe one cupboard without wiping them all down. The floor under the refrigerator needs to be mopped and might as well get the grill under it wiped down...and since we are wiping down the outside of it...tee hee...they could clean the inside too! :haha:

oh how I wish my children were still at home. :D

3. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

Sounds like kiddies have a bit of a job to do.....

4. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Well I'd take a guess that he and his buddy should be assigned to the clean up crew, with a little a little explanation of why its out of sight...you know, the 'If I wanted you to have it I would've put it on your nightstand" kind of thing. But the sight of the mess and the pending cleanup might be all the lecture he needs.
    :)

5. ratherbefishin

well, they are sleeping right now, so I have cleaned up the shelf , but the fridge has to be emptied and moved so we can get the rest of it cleaned up.Kids do it?Yah, right- there will be ants coming next summer if I left it up to them.Funny, when my kids were small, we had all these theories on raising kids and what we would and would not put up with.Well after raising 4 of our own, 50 foster kids and adopting another 4, I have no more theories.But- they are all working, nobodies in jail, the older ones are all self employed and own real estate.
    You choose your battles, that's about it.
    Now I have to move the fridge, amazing how ''nobody'' knows how stuff happens....haven't got a clue...nope, it wasn't me.... too bad, dad, that's a real mess-oh, when is breakfast ready?

6. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Breakfast is ready when you cook it and that's right after the fridge gets cleaned. Sleeping people wake up, otherwise they're dead. Wake them up and put them to work. You didn't make the mess.

7. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

I'm betting a "mouse" did it!

8. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

Sounds like gremlins to me.... :haha: :haha: :haha: Been there, done it, bought the t-shirt. As you say "choose your battles" worse things could happen than a little nip.
    Rog

9. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Only a Gallon :rolleyes: I had 55 Gallons coming down the stairs one time :eek: I don't think I ever got all that cleaned up.Smelled good though :D

big rockpile

10. ratherbefishin

well ,he didn't admit going into the cupboard- and he said I hadhad a glass of wine with dinner- but he did help clean it up.As I said, you choose your battles.I don't want to be on their case for everything.The whole idea is to get them to accept responsablility.

11. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh, yeah... Before I had kids, I used to say things like, "My kids will never do that!" and "Well, if that were MY kid...."

That sort of talk must have programmed my eggs, because my kids seemd to try to do ALL the things I said they wouldn't, and I didn't seem to have a clue to know what to do when they dreamed up all sorts of things...

Congratulations and many thanks for seeing so many kids through it all and into functional living. :)

12. lowmaintwyf

lowmaintwyf Member

I remember one summer I was about 6, my mom had her niece & nephew babysit for me and my little sister...they were about 15-16 yrs old. Someone dumped a gallon of kool-aid on the kitchen floor during the night. When mom got up she asked who did it and my cousin Ted 'fessed up. She told him he made the mess, he'd clean it so while he was scrubbing she over heard him tell my other cousin that he wasn't going to do a good job. She told him he'd just keep having to scrub over and over til it was done right. He got it clean the first time, but asked my mom not to tell his mom he could scrub floors cause his mom would make him do it at home! LOL...Dang the stupid crap we used to pull!!!

Jen