Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was beautiful day! I spent the afternoon washing all of the windows. I hate looking through the screens all winter so I always remove the screens & wash the windows.

How's the weather in your area?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Weather was sunny and nice till I went down near the lake, it was so cool, i got a chill, Didn't realize it was going to be so cool otherwise I would have taken a coat. Stood around out side for about an hour, I listened to my nephew give a eulogy I had to give the closing prayer and wait around till my wife's brother's ashes were buried in the family plot. The service went well, went to her sister's house and my wife and her family sat around looking at old pictures of their family and had a meal. My wife was least effected by his death, partly because she saw him in the hospital often and knew he was going to die, partly because his death was his own fault, partly because we believe we will eventually see him again in the life that comes after, and partly because my cold nature concerning death may have worn off on her. May be cold isn't the right word although Mary Richards (Mary Tyler Moore) would say I was callous. I kept making jokes like Murry did in the episode Chuckles bites the dust. " After all we joke about what scares us, yet we know death will have the last laugh on us. "

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihLJrcS8lsg[/ame]

At least my suggestion of putting his ashes in an empty vodka bottle wasn't too far off, I thought they could pour a little booze in for his last drink before they buried him. The brother was given a flask and poured booze into the grave hole for "one last one." And I thought I was making a joke, guess I was wrong. All in all it was a nice funeral. "I wonder why we dress in black and cry our eyes out when they are dead and not do it while they are still alive."

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
It has been cold and rainy here all week. The weatherman says the sun will return tomorrow. I sure hope he's right.

·
Cedar Cove Farm
1,706 Posts
It has been absolutely lovely in our neck-of-the-woods (southern MO). Temps in the 70's and the sun shining. So far, fall here has had it's benefits.

·
Registered
214 Posts
We've had one of the nicest falls in years here in the Pocono Mountains. The trees were exceptional and the sky had the deep, fall blue color to it. I dread what may be coming soon, though. I like snow around Christmas time, but after that you can keep it. By the beginning of January I'm itching to get back outside.

Today is going to be another gorgeous day. We were going to clean the chicken run today. We usually fill it with grass clippings during the summer, but then clean them out in the fall and put them in the compost pile. Then, we add a layer of sand for the winter. Today, for some reason the automatic door didn't open (think I need to clean the track), and we figured it would be a good day to clean. It just opened while I was writing the first paragraph. I hate that job...matted down, wet, stinking grass clipping. Saved for another week!

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
The high was close to 70 and a little wind. I took the boat out for a final time. Fogged in the motors and drained the lower units. Put it away for the winter. Sigh.

The humming birds and the sandhill cranes are gone but there was still a loon on the lake.

The weather was perfect for boating but I still remember the Halloween Blizzard in 1991. That year we got snowed on for 3 days starting on Halloween and it shut everything down.

Today and tomorrow it;s supposed to get to 65. I still have a couple of things to get ready for winter. Then it can get as cold as it wants.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Unusually warm here too. We reached over 70 this past
week. Pretty weird for Canada in mid October, but we'll take it.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Fall is my favorite time of year, and this fall is the best one I can remember in Oklahoma in ages and ages! Usually fall lasts a few days or maybe a week if you're lucky...usually it goes straight from summer to winter!

We've had lots of days in the 60s and 70s, a few low 80s and cool nights down to the low 60s to upper 50s (even a couple of 40s!), as well as more rain than usual. I am LOVING it!!! :D I've been spending every moment I can outside.

A lot of people consider fall a sad time with all the plants dying back and trees shedding their leaves and stuff, but the cool, crisp air, sounds of rustling leaves, smells of fresh apples and fall veggies and just the sense of anticipation invigorate me and supercharge me, lol. I always have TONS more energy in the fall than any other time of year. If it could stay like this all the time I'd be one happy camper!

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
Raining cats and dogs and blowing hard here today, but ya know what? I really didn't mind. It was a good day for snuggling in with a good book, making soup, enjoying the warmth of the woodstove, and just reveling in not having to be out in the slop! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts