Homesteading Forum banner
41 - 60 of 106 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
I am truly sorry for the lack of formula for those that depend on it..... However there are lots of options... Ok so here is what I did! I had a baby that nursed every 1.5 hours day and night for 5 months! I walked into a health food store a bit on the pale side and the gal lead me to an isle with powdered Goats Milk in containers just like formula! Then she showed me the liquid cartons and glass bottles! So many choices and the difference was just pricing.... I found a small hobby goat owner and she supplied the goats milk which was also organic as all my baby sons food would turn out to be...he had issues and allergies....I bought gallons of it every week! I can tell you that the Dr said it was fine as it was supplemented with nursing but it has been proven that Goats milk is the closest thing to breast milk there is! No matter the shortage that is done with powdered formula....there is an immense amount of GOOD OLD GOATS MILK! It has saved so many lives in the past when there wasn't formula! My second son was failure to thrive and GOATS MILK saved his life at 2 months old as he literally could not gain weight! I was nursing him all he would take, ate very nutritious foods but he had a super high metabolism! Then months later, he got two bacterial infections...they cured him but he was so lethargic and thin after that illness at 6 months old! I continued with Goats milk and nursing...til he was on solid foods....

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
I have to wonder how many new mothers from 3rd World countires desparate enough to travel 1000s of miles on foot or crated and transported by semi trailer are not breast feedng? Why do they need to be given commercially prepared formula when they get here?...If they are breast feeding and then switched to artifical formula, are they given medication to stop their own milk production?...Not doing so would be cruel and inhumane, akin to suddenly stop milking s dairy cow before she's ready to dry up naturally.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, you are the only person on this post suggesting breast feeding. What could possibly be better? It works!!!
Not everyone can breastfeed. And if you weren't breastfeeding (for whatever reason) when the formula disappeared, you can't just will breast milk into existence.

41 - 60 of 106 Posts