Homesteading Forum banner
21 - 40 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
40,275 Posts
The FDA is advising parents and caregivers to not make or feed homemade infant formula to infants. Parents or caregivers of infants who have consumed a homemade infant formula should contact their healthcare provider and report any symptoms to their local Health Department.

·
Registered
605 Posts
The FDA is advising parents and caregivers to not make or feed homemade infant formula to infants. Parents or caregivers of infants who have consumed a homemade infant formula should contact their healthcare provider and report any symptoms to their local Health Department.
Do you reckon it's really the baby formula companies paying the fda to say this? Kind of like the pharmaceutical companies...

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
I thin the problem with homemade formula is people will go with what they see on the Internet.

I looked further into some of the cases and some parents were feeding their children a formula of dates and sea moss, or something ridiculously similar…

·
Sock puppet reinstated
27,005 Posts
I thin the problem with homemade formula is people will go with what they see on the Internet.

I looked further into some of the cases and some parents were feeding their children a formula of dates and sea moss, or something ridiculously similar…
I agree with that. They should ask their doctors for recomendations.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Here is the story I was talking about, I’m sure it’s what prompted the advisory.

I’m trying to remember when I switched my kids to whole milk, I’m pretty sure they were not on formula for a whole year.

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)

That, and I could see a sudden change in diet causing GI issues. Any major dietary changes should probably be gradual. Plus, any potential allergy issues should be accounted for.. That said, an old fashioned, time tested recipe would probably be fine.

ETA: Maybe add some Polyvisol.

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Do you reckon it's really the baby formula companies paying the fda to say this? Kind of like the pharmaceutical companies...
That's probably part of it as well. They'll call it a safety concern. Some are probably sincere about it. But I think that most are afraid that parents will figure out that there's a cheaper way to get the same results. Homemade formula used to be pretty common. Another nearly lost skill that these companies don't want revived.

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Immigrant babies are still in need of formula. There just is not an easy answer but the answer is not to deny them formula.
The answer is to send them home and take care of Americans first.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
I don't see how the advice parents are being given makes sense. Just watched a news show where a distraught parent kept trying to tell the expert there is NO FORMULA on the shelves in her town. The expert just said that the most important thing the Biden admin is doing is loosening WIC restrictions so they can buy name brand. Mother said she was not on WIC and THERE IS NO NAME BRAND AVAILABLE. So she was then advised to switch to a different brand or version of her brand. Again she was in tears as she said THERE IS NO FORMULA ON THE SHELF OF ANY KIND. Then she was told to call her pediatrician and they would help her with advice of how to use European formula. She again said IT IS NOT YET AVAILABLE. Then she was told, well, do NOT use a homemade formula it can kill the baby, and do not use cow's milk as babies cannot digest it. She replied Similac is cow's milk with other ingredients added and again was told the most helpful thing the administration can do at this time is allow WIC recipients to buy other brands than the usual approved.

Tone deaf.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
What a scary time to be a new parent or have young infants. As if it wasn't already frightening enough.

OTOH, I seem to remember going to cereal/milk and mashed up big people food when my kids were about 5-6 months old (supplementing formula with actual food before that, though). I'm really not understanding the people that are freaking out because they cannot find formula for their 9+ month old children. What in the actual heck.

21 - 40 of 106 Posts