Goose/Goat/Rabbit meat

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by FL.Boy, Jan 7, 2009.

1. FL.Boy

FL.Boy Well-Known Member

Where can i find it? seams none of the stores have it.

2. bluemoonluck

bluemoonluck Crazy Dog Lady Supporter

Look for smaller, local ethnic stores...... or raise your own :rolleyes:

3. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Is it like turducken?

Sorry...couldn't resist.

4. XCricketX

XCricketX Having Triplets!

Rabbit meat can be bought online and shipped to you. I'm not sure about the other meats.

Cricket

5. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

Any HT folks in your area that can help out?

6. Jim S.

Jim S. Well-Known Member

Most mid- to large cities have a specialty meat store that will have rabbit. Goat is hard to get in some states, because they will not allow its sale unless it is USDA butchered. In Alabama, for example, if you butcher at a state inspected slaughterhouse, all the meat will come tagged NOT FOR RESALE.

You might consider placing a wanted ad in your local shopper. That may connect you with folks who butcher their own and you can buy it right off the farm from them. Even in states where it is illegal to resell non-USDA butchered meats, there are folks who do it on the QT.

7. ArmyDoc

ArmyDoc Well-Known Member

Nah, he's talking about a Gogoorabin...:rolleyes:

8. Aponi

Aponi Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what stores you have in FL, but here Krogers does sell rabbit meat. It's in the freezer section. It's about 10 dollars.

9. cathleenc

cathleenc Well-Known Member Supporter

try craigslist under the farming section (most likely live animals)

10. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

You could do what we did, buy a goat and have a deer processor butcher and process it. If you can contact rabbit breeders in your area you could buy fryers and butcher them yourself. Same for the goose, try livestock/poultry auctions. I've seen rabbit meat for sale in specialty supermarkets, usually frozen. Goat would have to come from a ethnic market. In Philadelphia there's a butcher that specializes in all sorts of different meats, has rabbits and ducks hanging the the windows, you can buy buffalo, elk, ostrich meat etc. Most large cities would have such a butcher shop. And yea, there's always online.

11. FL.Boy

FL.Boy Well-Known Member

All my pork comes from a USDA butcher and it's marked not for resale

Yes that would work better

Ummmm buffalo i love.

The plan is to raise our own but first we want to make sure we like it. My wife had curry goat and didn't like it but i don't think i would like anything curry. Has anyone ordered meat online? Just seams funny and how do they ship?

12. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

I just remembered that my Shoprite sells Buffalo steaks, wonder if any other supermarkets would or could get them? I get them from time to time, its a nice change of pace, I really like the taste of buffalo too. Goats pretty good too, when I've had it in the past it wasn't curried, and tasted like light venison, but was very tender, could be the way it was cooked. For anyone in my area(NJ, Eastern PA etc) the butcher I was talking about is in Philly on South 9th St, in the Italian Market district-

http://www.dangelobros.com/

Here's their game meat list

http://www.dangelobros.com/game.htm

Says they do mail order, imagine its pricey. I remember getting Buffalo steaks from there, it was really good meat. They have rabbit and geese available, but I didn't see goat. They do have Nutrias, isn't that like eating a groundhog?

13. cnvh

cnvh Well-Known Member

Goat is usually available at the major grocery stores around the Muslim holidays (not sure what they are). Our local Wegmans used to carry rabbit, but now they don't stock it-- but they CAN order it for you; cost was $7.50/lb last spring.

My dad raises meat rabbits and would always give us some halves if he had extra available, but he didn't have any last spring, so we bought some from Wegmans-- ONCE. It was delicious, but I REFUSE to pay $7.50/lb for rabbit!!

So we started raising our own, and we're processing our first litter this weekend. Just in feed/hay costs, we figure our own home-produced rabbit will end up costing us about $10 per kit, so if they dress out around 3 lbs. (they're about 5 1/2 lbs live weight right now), that's a little over $3/lb.

Once you factor in the costs associated with building the hutches, bedding costs, our time, etc., etc., it DOES end up being pretty expensive meat. But at least it's meat we're producing ourselves...

14. copperkid3

copperkid3 Well-Known Member

Naaaawwww.........more like eating a G I A N T M U S K R A T

15. dock671

dock671 Member

Fl. Boy-

If you're just wanting to get an idea of the taste, Publix and Wally World both sell goose and rabbit in their meat sections, high dollar though. As far as goat, very popular with the East Indian population so if you can find an Indian grocery you might find some. My son's best friend is Indian and is always bringing us plates of curry goat, I'm not crazy about the curry either, but I don't think I like anything with curry, so it's not the goat. Bought goat once at an Albertson's in Jacksonville, but I think that was just a fluke. :D

16. the mama

the mama loves all critters Supporter

Contact the local Weston Price group.

17. MamaTiger

MamaTiger Well-Known Member

Since you are from North Fl, and we are in South Ga, and my dh travels your way quite frequently (twice weekly between now and April), we could arrange to sell you some rabbit meat if you'd like. :)

18. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

I remember getting frozen rabbit form a grocery store...OMG it was awful..old freezer burned tasting just downright awful. Goose should be able to be found in stores as it's a Christmas meat....find a hispanic type grocery and ask for cabrito for the goat.