Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is that the website where you can look closely at property? I am on dial-up so can't access. My main question is just how close to "seeing" people can you get? Can you see their faces, or just the shape of a person? TIA.

ps. I guess the days of being miles away in wilderness and wanting to go naked are over.

·
Clinton, Louisiana
1,889 Posts
From an overhead view from outter space, you cannot tell people too good at all. On the STREET VIEW, the faces are blotted out, mostly. Google Earth, is like going on vacation, you never have to leave the house!!

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
I can kinda see my house roof but its not very close up, and with all the trees I cant even see the dirt road coming in. But I am in the sticks, now if I look at baltimore md, I can see my moms and soms house and can see all the crap in the yard, what cars are parked ect, but cant find a date so I know by the cars some are old photos they dont have that car anymore. google street is fun to play with in city areas, they dont drive the goole cars around here.

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Here is a property diagram I did using google earth. You can't really see anything on it for us. Our house is too far from the road so I can wander about naked without fear!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Generally, the pics you can see of your property are "stills" from some time ago. The latest date on my place is almost two years ago. You can find that by clicking "history". I think you can get newer pics by paying a fee, but I don't think you can get live-streaming for 24/7.

·
Banned
8,092 Posts
You basically have to stand outside, day after day in your birthday suit,
waiting for a passing plane or satellite to be swinging by to 'catch' you
in all your glory ......

Might get more tips if you installed a stripper's pole in the front yard.

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
Have a look at Bing Maps,

LINKY

Click on Bird's eye, in the upper left, after you zoom in a bit. Then zoom in a bit more, and more, and more....................

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
Most images in Google earth are ar 1 meter. That means each pexil of the image covers 1 meter. So with them you can see outlines but not much detail.

Some of the newer images are set at M/3. That would be 9 pixels per squar meter so you do start getting some detail but not enough to see regonize people.

Street view is a much higher resolution but I don't remember what it is.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Most country places won't get you much detail, even when trying to look at big things like houses and barns. It's usually a satellite view. That's not to say that some of those aren't good, they are. But to see details of someone in their birthday suit... not happenin', at least not yet.

I believe the technology is already here, has been for quite a few years. But I don't believe it's available to just anyone at this point. As mentioned above, about the best views I've seen have been in Bing Maps' birds eye views. But even then, they're often a year or two old and it's just one snapshot, not an ongoing video. Often, those birds eye views don't seem to be available in the places I'm looking, which is usually rural property.

Then again, drones seem to be the big thing these days, and they can be taking incredible pictures at distances too far for you to detect. Mostly, I suspect they're looking for things like weed patches, hideouts, that kind of thing. But if they found something "interesting" to look at... well, who knows what things flappin' in the breeze they might find interesting... it's possible you could end up on film somewhere. Google Maps, or Google Earth, I kinda doubt it.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
I find it a little unsettling, though, that you can pretty much count how many tomato plants are in the garden...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Google Earth's shot of my place has a view of me out on the tractor mowing. Cant really see me but you can see the tractor pretty clearly.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Most country places won't get you much detail, even when trying to look at big things like houses and barns. It's usually a satellite view. That's not to say that some of those aren't good, they are. But to see details of someone in their birthday suit... not happenin', at least not yet.

I believe the technology is already here, has been for quite a few years. But I don't believe it's available to just anyone at this point. As mentioned above, about the best views I've seen have been in Bing Maps' birds eye views. But even then, they're often a year or two old and it's just one snapshot, not an ongoing video. Often, those birds eye views don't seem to be available in the places I'm looking, which is usually rural property.

Then again, drones seem to be the big thing these days, and they can be taking incredible pictures at distances too far for you to detect. Mostly, I suspect they're looking for things like weed patches, hideouts, that kind of thing. But if they found something "interesting" to look at... well, who knows what things flappin' in the breeze they might find interesting... it's possible you could end up on film somewhere. Google Maps, or Google Earth, I kinda doubt it.
I saw a housefly drone on tv a year or so ago. Pitiful that you can't be sure a fly is really just a fly. No privacy anywhere. I used to talk to myself (in the house) sometimes. Now I don't know who's listening so try to curb that.

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
Yes, generally still photos. And a lot are out of date. And if you live really far off the beaten path (like me) they might not have any street view at all.
Google earth is helpful if you are looking at buying a property in a town or suburb and want to know what is next door or down the street. You can find out how the neighborhood looks with out even having to drive on out. In the google earth satellite overhead view of my property I can make out the 4 white specks in my pond....my geese! And I can clearly see my horse trailer and barns. but it is way out of date, heck I haven't had four white geese in over a year : )

T

·
0 Posts
They've changed it, but my daughter and I had clowned for the camera last time they had come by... They blurred her face since she appeared under age, but you could see me clearly. LOL!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts