Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Student of goatology.
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost my 6 month old wether, Noodle today. He stopped eating and came down with diarrhea about a week ago and I'd been working with my vet to get him straightened up. Finally yesterday he seemed better, his stools were berries again, he was perkier and eating. Not back to 100% but things looked very promising. This morning I went out and he was depressed, not eating, and crying a little so I took his temp and it was 106°. Vet said give him Banamine, KaoPec to coat his stomach, and that I could try CD antitoxin. My regular goat vet was out on farms calls and couldn't come out so I took him to a local vet that used to work on livestock but no longer does farm calls. She thought he might be starting to get pneumonia and gave him a shot of Naxcel but she said things didn't look good. I was really hoping that the Naxcel would start working on him and took him home. I hadn't even got him out of the van and he looked like he was giving up. I carried him into the barn where he promptly laid down, then got up and laid down several times. Then he started staggering and crying more, then went down, rolled on his side and died. I took him to the ODA for necropsy right away. I'm so angry, we did everything we could think of for him.
Noodle was going to be my future packgoat. He was very sweet and lovable, so cute and just a really good boy. I'm gonna miss him terribly.

Be at peace now Noodle. 1/25/07 - 7/25/07

·
Menagerie More~on
2,045 Posts
Oh poor Noodle . . . it is so hard when you do everything you can to save them and they still leave. I'm so sorry.

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,435 Posts
I'm very sorry for your loss. He was quite the handsome boy.

NeHi

·
Registered
348 Posts
I am so sorry Kim, it is always so hard when you don't know what is going on. Don't blame yourself, you did what you could.

Laura

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Sorry about Noodle, Kim. Sometimes, no matter what is done, things just don't work out. Like others have said, you did all you could for him.

·
Pook's Hollow
4,570 Posts
I'm so sorry. You did everything you could for him.

·
Registered
362 Posts
KimM: So sorry to hear about Noodle, take comfort in the fact in exactly what you said, that you did all you could for him, and that he did not die alone. It's a shame, he was a pretty boy, but he was comforted in the end. I hope you get answers from the necropsy. Sorry for your loss.

·
Student of goatology.
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you everyone. I only had him 6 months but my hands were on him as he came into the world and also as he left it. I so miss holding his head in my hands, kissing his soft forehead and him nuzzling my face with his fuzzy muzzle. He had the softest ears. I didn't realize just how special he was to me until last week. This really hurts. I'm gonna go hug the rest of them right now.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Ah Kim, I am so sorry about Noodle. I know how attached you get to them. We lost out little bottle baby, Bo, when he was only 8 days old. It was very upsetting to us both. He sure was a cutey!

Winona

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
That is so sad.

It's stories like this that make me feel like I don't want any animals when we move out to the homestead. I just don't have the heart to lose them.

I'm sorry for your loss.

donsgal

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that. It makes me so afraid every morning to go out back and make sure everyone is doing well. I guess that is what it is all about when you love more than yourself.

·
Foggy Dew Farms
229 Posts
For those of you who have never met Kim, she is a very wonderful person, and there is absolutely no doubt that she and her husband take wonderful care of their animals. We just recently bought our buck off of them, and it is amazing the love and care they provide their animals.

Kim - I am truly sorry for your loss. Hang in there...

Blessings,

Jon, Roxann, and Family

·
Student of goatology.
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awww, you guys! That was so sweet of you. Thanks muchly!
I didn't realize you were HT members for that long. And I like your website....will email or call you soon.
Yup, our little Noodle has gone to goatpacking with angels. At least he'll never, ever hurt again. It's just my selfish side that wants him back.
Talk to you soon.

Wannabee said:
For those of you who have never met Kim, she is a very wonderful person, and there is absolutely no doubt that she and her husband take wonderful care of their animals. We just recently bought our buck off of them, and it is amazing the love and care they provide their animals.

Kim - I am truly sorry for your loss. Hang in there...

Blessings,

Jon, Roxann, and Family

1 - 18 of 18 Posts