Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We generally worm our does before breeding them, but we bred them earlier than usual this year and didn't get them wormed. The wormer that we have used in the past was fine to use while the does were not bred, but if they are bred you have to know their exact weight so you don't give them too much and cause them to abort. They are really too big for us to weigh I'm thinking, so I'd rather just use another.

What are your suggestions?

·
Nubian dairy goat breeder
4,465 Posts
first of all, your goats are never too big to get their weight. you can use a tape to get it. you always want their weight to give the correct dosis, no matter if pregnant or not.
here is a chart
http://fiascofarm.com/goats/weight-chart.htm
i'm sure there are other charts as well
if you have done a fecal check and looked at the inner eyelid and find it necessary to worm them, mostly any wormer will not harm if used in second and third trimester of pregnancy.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Susanne,
I did not know you could use the tape method for goats. Thank you for the link. My goats were bred in October.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't done a fecal, but she started having diarrhea today, and I checked her eyelids, and they are too pale. Also, she is not gaining weight like she should. She is a goat that has been here for about six months now, and she just hasn't settled in well with the herd. She is a very skittish girl, and the other does don't let her eat with them. I thought that might be why she is skinny, but now I realize she needs to be wormed again. I called my neighbor to see if she had any wormer I could pay her for to go ahead and get a dose in her tonight. She has Safeguard she can give me, so we are going to do that in a few minutes as soon as dh gets back from the neighbor's.

·
4,465 Posts
ashley i would have a fecal check done first. safeguard is very save, for the parasites on my farm too ;)
cydectin would be a better choice, at least here at my farm. diarrhea and pale eye membrane can also be a sign for copper deficiency. what minerals do you have out for your goats? was she dewormed when you got her? how old is she?
i would also give her vit b and bo-se to help her deal with the stress. probios/yoghurt/kefir can't hurt either;)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I just gave her the Safeguard. I do have Cydectin on hand though. Should I give her that tomorrow? My neighbor sent down some copper which we had not been giving. We offer kelp and minerals free choice, but the minerals have no copper.

·
4,465 Posts
this lack of copper cause the nutritional stress she is in.
yes i would worm her with cydectin 1cc per 22 pound body weight. try to get the copper levels up for your goats and you will have less problems with parasites.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much for your help Susanne. I will be following your advice this morning. She had been wormed right before we got her home, and she is just shy of two years old. Any advice for getting some weight on her? My other goats are in very good condition, but this nubian is terribly skinny.

Also, I checked the minerals late last night, and there is some copper in there, but I talked to my neighbor and she said that in our area the goats need more copper than comes in the minerals we buy. We buy our feed and minerals together.

·
4,465 Posts
ashley i'm sure as soon as the mineral requirements are meet, her weight will improve too.
here, i always worm new coming animals, no matter when they were wormed the last time. moving is always stress and comes with a burden of parasite.
what do you feed to your does? looks like you have a very helpful neighbor ;)
lucky you.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes Susanne, we are blessed to have fantastic neighbors. We do our best to help each other out as often as possible.

We are feeding good quality hay, and they have a pretty good size area to browse. We were going to start feeding some grain closer to kidding time in February, but I'm thinking I should start giving Skinny Minny some grain everyday until she is looking better.

·
4,465 Posts
i don't know if your budget allows it, but if you could add some sunflower seed to the mix, it will give some extra calories ;)
if she is not used to th grain, start very slowly.

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
I would add treatment for cocci - an adult animal under stress can and will have a cocci break, and with the diarrhea, I'd think cocci.

A cheaper alternative to sunflower seeds would be to feed her separately so she can eat her entire ration without being bullied away from it, and add a Tbsp or 2 of vegie oil to her grain. What are you feeding her now, and how much? She should be getting some grain at this point, and alfalfa, either in hay or in pellets. She has a lot of work to do, growing those kids. Definitely on the right track with adding extra copper, too. :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We started her on some grain last night, and did add some sunflower seeds to it. She is still having the diarrhea today. I saw her over at the mineral/kelp bucket, so that is good. The copper is in her water. I will get some alfalfa pellets too. We are going to pull her out seperately to give her a good grain ration in the evenings. Hopefully things will turn around for her soon.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I would add treatment for cocci - an adult animal under stress can and will have a cocci break, and with the diarrhea, I'd think cocci.

A cheaper alternative to sunflower seeds would be to feed her separately so she can eat her entire ration without being bullied away from it, and add a Tbsp or 2 of vegie oil to her grain. What are you feeding her now, and how much? She should be getting some grain at this point, and alfalfa, either in hay or in pellets. She has a lot of work to do, growing those kids. Definitely on the right track with adding extra copper, too. :)
Why the vegie oil? Paul

·
4,465 Posts
i think oil in an compromised digestive system would do more harm then good.
coccidiosis is a possibility, that is why fecal check would be good to see what is going on. in an adult doe, cocci is rare. even if numbers are getting elevated in stress times, as soon as the immune system is strengthened, it is regulated again.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
I would not advise to add grain to a goat that has diarrhea and possibly scours. I also don't trust copper in the water. Bolusing would probably be a better choice for you.

Do a fecal and see what's in there. You may also want to fecal other goats that are sharing the same space to see if they have a load that needs treatment too - easier to do it at the same time.

Is she getting any legumes (like alfalfa) for a source of protein & calcium?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
She is getting alfalfa hay.

I'm going to have to wait on the fecal until Monday (payday). We spent all of the extra farm money on getting more minerals and kelp.

I have been outside a lot today watching her. She is eating a lot (hay and grazing) and keeps going over to the mineral/kelp bucket. She's not acting like she's feeling poorly. I never say her poop, so I haven't been able to determine if she still has the diarrhea. But, I'm planning to go out there again in a bit, to watch some more. Nothing like being on poop watch.:lonergr:

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
If the diarhea is bad you will be able to see it under her tail. What color is it? I hear that if its cocci there will be an unmistakable super foul odor.
And yes no grain till it's under control.
So glad you have great neigbors!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Her tail was already messy, that's what tipped me off in the first place. It is brown, and there isn't an odor beyond what is normal.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts