Good word for Murry Mc Murry Hatchery

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Jul 22, 2004.

1. I received my order this morning of 50 cockerels and noticed there was a sticker on the side of the shipping crate which read PULLETS but the packing list read 50 all heavies, I called to find out if I received the correct order and they assured me I got the correct order. They called back and said they would send me 25 cockerels FREE next week for my response to the question above.Very nice people I cannot say anything bad about them as some people had if they had a bad order,I am pleased with there response on the question which was not a big problem at all. Very nice people in my opinion , I will continion dealing with them as I have for the last 5 yr's or more.

2. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with you unregistered. I have been dealing with them for many years and have never had a bad experience.
    Mickey

3. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

My McMurray chicks have done better than chicks from other hatcherys also.

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I ordered from Ideal this year for the first time and am very happy with them. Very quick service and 25 healthy, vigorous birds.

5. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

We liked the chix we got from MM last year, but, we found a very local hatchery. They offer fewer varieties but they are ever so much closer I thought it was better for the chix to buy locally.

I enjoy looking through the MM catalog just to see all the different varieties.

Ann

6. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Murray McMurray is very over-priced.

I have dealt with many different hatcheries and they have all offered good birds and good service. Ideal, Welp, Mt. Healthy, Cackle, Privett, Estes...and more I can't think of. Their prices are always much lower.

Jena

7. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Jena. I read this thread yesterday and thought to say something but decided not to. But it's true. From what I've read MM is a great hatchery but they are pricey by comparison. I've purchased from Welp, Ideal, Mt. Healthy, Privett, Xtreme Gamebirds, and private sellers on Eggbid. I've always gotten excellent service and healthy good looking birds. Some hatcheries have a specialization. Doesn't MM have show chicks? Welp is the best source for Cornish. Mt Healthy can't be beat for surplus cockerels. I ended up with 30 Buff Orphington pullets, a dozen RIR pullets, and three Barred Rock pullets (mixed in w/ my order of 1200 cockerels) this year for .25 each, including shipping. All I needed was the cockerels so these were like a bonus :) nothing against MM, I've never ordered from them since I don't show and I don't have the extra cash to lay out. I comparison shop every time I am going to buy and so far I've never been dissappointed with any of the hatcheries.

8. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

I dealt with McMurray for several years and always got great birds and service from them. For the past couple of years though I have been buying from Cackle. Great birds for half of the price.

9. evilbunny

evilbunny Well-Known Member

I am local to McMurray Hatchery and my ex husband always ordered from them. They were great about helping with questions and had great birds. I always loved the catalog, such pictures and information and the variety is awesome. It could get anyone to like birds.

My grandfather was friends with one of the McMurrays, I couldnt tell you which one, but when I was a young girl I remember listening to him talk about the birds. He really loved his birds. Now I dont think the business is run by family. I dont get the love of birds feeling from them when I've talked to them on the phone. Of course I am probably just talking to employees and they are there just for a job.

They are VERY high priced. My cornish X chicks this year from another hatchery, was less than half their price and this hatchery had more hatch dates. Sun Ray Hatchery in Iowa.

I think McMurrays have made a lot of opportunities for new hatcheries by breaking ground into the industry. They are very active lobbists for the industry.

I'm sorry that I cant afford their chicks.

10. Nan(TX)

Nan(TX) Well-Known Member

I have ordered from MM and Ideal along with one mom and pop hatchery. One of the advantages of ordering from a large hatchery vs a small mom and pop is you can have them sexed and vaccinated for Markes disease. The disadvantages of the large hatcheries is that they don’t have allot of rare breeds.

On a side note.
    According to Gail Luttmann (I think they divorced) Damerow in her book “Chickens In Your Back Yard” the best time to raise chicks in the northern areas is late March to early April when the weather heats up.
    The reason for this is…

The fertility is highest in spring.
    The chicks are more vigorous.
    Chicks tend to be larger.
    The chicks tend grow faster.
    Chicks tend to be healthier.
    The later the chick are hatched the greater the chance that the maturing birds will be put out after the cold and rain set in, therefore run the risk of contracting diseases that lurk in cold wet weather.