Good/Wise Buy?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by LuckyGRanch, Aug 10, 2004.

1. LuckyGRanch

LuckyGRanch Well-Known Member

We went to look at a Jersey last night. She's currently producing approx 45# on 3 quarters. She's had some freezing of the other quarter and teat. Approx 3/4 of her teat is missing and when hooked up to the milker, leaks milk from that teat. She's currently in a commerical dairy but, once her production drops a little bit more, he'll be parting with her.

My biggest question is on mastitis. Just where is the orifice of a milk cow located? For us she'll be a family milker and a pet. It is my understanding that she just leaks as she's being milked as she lets down. No problem with leaking all the time attracting flies, etc.

We've milked a Jersey before and currently milk 4 goats....no problems with mastitis with any of those animals, etc.

Thanks for any input you may have. He's offering her to us at a fair price - basically hamburger cow price or less. He had planned to retain her for her genetics until her injury/frostbite. Otherwise a very sound, sweet, pleasant Jersey. :)

2. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

We have a cow like this on the farm where I work.
    One of her teats was injured somehow ... it's about 1/2 gone. When she "lets down," the milk runs freely out of that quarter (which is milked).
    She has never had mastitis in it while she's been with us.

One thing to watch out for is, some farmers will cut an infected teat right off a cow. There will be a stub there, and milk will drip from it during milking, until eventually the teat dries up.

But if you trust that the seller is being straight with you about this cow's deformity being the result of frostbite, I'd say go for it, if you like her otherwise!

3. LuckyGRanch

LuckyGRanch Well-Known Member

Thanks...That's what I was thinking but, I didn't want my strong desire to have a Jersey to cloud my common sense! She's a fine young cow and he's a straight shooter. We're about to send off one of the Jersey/Whiteface calves (dubbed T-Bone) we bought a couple years ago to slaughter. :dance: