good to test again?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by burfer, Feb 2, 2005.

1. burfer

burfer Well-Known Member

Well, I am happy to say we have test results back from UC Davis and Neg. results on CL!!! I am thinking about testing again in a month or so just in case anyone in incubating. Is this wise? I bought my husband a goat at Christmas, a VERY NICE doe. We noticed some abcesses, had them cultured and came back positive for CL. Her abcesses never burst on our property (we took her back to the breeder) and we isolated her as soon as we noticed them.

2. geminigoats

geminigoats Well-Known Member

I am not sure as to how long to wait before you test again for CL. I know in CAE and TB tests if you test too soon again you can get a false positive. I know Vicki would probably know the answer to this. I tested my herd once for CL about 4 yrs ago, was negative then and was so happy! Hope this helps some.

Bernice

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I would wait about 6 months and then retest, honestly when you bring in a doe who then has abscess, if she was going to contaminate the herd, you pretty much see abscess in other goats start up in about 21 days. Once you are over that date, with no abscess you are pretty much home free. Vicki