Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The author, Susan Pfeffer, has written two books for teens on the topic, both, I think, dealing with the same earth changing disaster.

The dead & the gone (takes place in NYC)
Life as we knew it (rural PA)

The first is quite good, haven't read the other one yet. Good reading for your kids, you or disinterested spouses/so's. Definitely motivating.

·
Ozark mama
1,131 Posts
The author, Susan Pfeffer, has written two books for teens on the topic, both, I think, dealing with the same earth changing disaster.

The dead & the gone (takes place in NYC)
Life as we knew it (rural PA)

The first is quite good, haven't read the other one yet. Good reading for your kids, you or disinterested spouses/so's. Definitely motivating.
I've read both books and really enjoyed them. I hope the author comes out with more of the same. It would depend on the maturity of the teenager, but I think the books might be too intense for early teens. That said, reading and discussing the books with open-minded parents or guardians would be a very good thing to do. We have had similar general discussions of if/when the SHTF with our teenage grandchildren but not quite so in depth. Our daughters each have both books but I don't think the GK have read them yet. The books are real eye-openers with life-and-death situations and serious decision-making. I couldn't put the books down - had to find out how they ended. :lookout:

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
I read the "Life as we knew it" last year. It was as depressing as "The Road".

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
My mistake!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Another good read is a book called The Girl Who Owned a City by O.T. Nelson.
Do a wiki search and find out what it is all about. Geared to translate the views of Ayn Rand for kids. I highly recommend it.

I read it way back in Jr. high and was blown away by the concept. Published in 1975 long before a lot of other post apocalyptic books borrowed the same concept. 2 thumbs up

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I just read Life As We Knew It since it was recommended here. Pretty good! It probably would have been more realistic had the family died - tho too depressing. Tho I'm still trying to figure out where the food came from at the end that saved the family.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Another good read is a book called The Girl Who Owned a City by O.T. Nelson.
Do a wiki search and find out what it is all about. Geared to translate the views of Ayn Rand for kids. I highly recommend it.

I read it way back in Jr. high and was blown away by the concept. Published in 1975 long before a lot of other post apocalyptic books borrowed the same concept. 2 thumbs up
That was a positive book I read it in grade school as well .
so much better than books that put children in a bad light and incapable of surviving on their own such as the Butterfly rebellion and lord of the flies

·
Ozark mama
1,131 Posts
I just read Life As We Knew It since it was recommended here. Pretty good! It probably would have been more realistic had the family died - tho too depressing. Tho I'm still trying to figure out where the food came from at the end that saved the family.
I assumed the food came from some govt stockpiles somewhere. It sounded like the food had been there for some time ready for distribution but the people who needed it were too sick or weak to know about it. I wondered how long the new-found food would last, with no foreseeable growing season, but with less mouths to feed it would go further.

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I read the "Life as we knew it" last year. It was as depressing as "The Road".
I finished it today. I thought it was fairly realistic (though not totally).

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I downloaded "Life as We Knew It" on the iPod and have been listening while working out and choring and such. I was talking to DW about it. We started listening together tonight.

It takes a bit of getting used to the 16YO female part but the author is adept at shifting the tone of the crisis as it progresses. Exactly halfway and my wife is yelling at me to get off the computer and turn the book back on.

Anyway, it was tough to eat dinner and have a full belly while listening. So we turned off the lights and lit an oil lamp to compensate.

Back to the story!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I read "Life as we knew it" and "The Dead and the Gone" this weekend. I enjoyed them both. Thanks for the suggestion Madame. They were a good read on a cold, cold weekend curled up by my wood stove. I did not think it was as depressing as "The Road". (or maybe I have read too many teotwawki books and am getting jaded) I also have read "alas babylon" and thought it was good too. I will be looking to get some of the "Tomorrow Series" next week from the Library. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts