Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still not sure about what breed of rabbit I'd like. I know I want a meat breed and then some colorful, marketable breeds. I did look into the only Silver Fox breeder I could find in MI, and their stock goes for 45-100.00. A little too much that I, being a beginner, would want to risk investing, lol. I was thinking more along the lines of some good meat rabbits that I might be able to show in 4-h, as well as a few rexes, satins, and maybe some champagnes or something. anybody know of anybody? I would prefer looking at some nice websites, because i'm not quite ready to contact a breeder but would more or less like to look at some good examples of rabbits and to reaserch their housing/care a little more, first. :) Thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
mygoat said:
Still not sure about what breed of rabbit I'd like. I know I want a meat breed and then some colorful, marketable breeds. I did look into the only Silver Fox breeder I could find in MI, and their stock goes for 45-100.00. A little too much that I, being a beginner, would want to risink investing, lol
If you want to drive down to northern Indiana I raise Silver Fox. I'm sure I could make you a better deal than that. Put zip code 46563 in and see how close that is to you.

One of my bucks just took first at the state fair. (I'm waiting on more details, like how many were in the class, etc)There are probably more Silver Fox breeders in MI, finding them is the problem.

Anyways, PM me if you're interested in coming down.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
If you are looking for a meat bread, we are over here in Iowa. We have New Zealand and Californians for $15 per breeder. If you take a sufficient quantity and were willing to help with gas, we would probably be able to meet you halfway to get you some rabbits.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
How close are you to Grand Rapids? I know our 4-H leaders have quite a few Californians up for sale right now. There are both Champane and Creme D'Argents at the Kent County Youth fair right now too as well as Palominos. The fair is only going to be there thru tomorrow though.
Melissa

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm more or less looking at rabbitries right now, I'm not prepared to actually purchase as of yet... Need to build hutches and look up rabbit care again!

I'm so glad me and my dad are handy with tools and wood because I really don't wanna buy a hutch... anybody have good plans for multiple hutches?

gonna have to look into some of your guys's rabbitries and addresses and whatnot.

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Just my opinion, but if you are building your own cages, and unless they are outside, I would leave out wood on your cages. We have some old cages that have wood on them and they create more problems than the all wire cages. The rabbits chew the wood and dirt and yuck gets all over the wood, hair sticks to it, they are nearly impossible to keep clean.

Wire, if you can take the rabbits out, can be singed if needed with a little torch to remove the hair and then can be cleaned with bleach water and rished with regular water. You can do the rinsing thing with the wood, but would after it has been chewed on, has places where the water will soak into it, and eventually rot out for you.

We do have wooden nest boxes, but they are removed after the does and babies get moved to the grow out cages. They get cleaned up and set in the sun for several days.

Anyway, just my opinion.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have spoke with you about goats before. I know several rabbit breeders in MI. They are all located in Clare/Mt. Pleasant area. they normally sell for 30.00-75.00 range. They raise Rex rabbits (standard size)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts