Good price on Jersey heifer?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by allenslabs, Apr 12, 2005.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

I sent the guy an email that I bought Annie from to see if he would be interested in her calf if it was a heifer. I had one lady say she would like it but he's just been so great I wanted him to have first dibs. Anyway..... he said at 2 weeks he'd give $250. Is that good? The calf would be reg. Thanks!!

2. Petsguy

Petsguy Well-Known Member

I would definitely give you that much for her. I would even go a little higher. I would love to have her at my place. She would fit in great with our llamas, sheep, mini donkeys, goats, chickens, ducks, and turkeys. Let meknow.

Take Care,
    Jeff

3. RyleeM

RyleeM Active Member

I wouldn't take that... I just paid $260.00 for some black angus / black baldie bottle calves. I would ask at least $400.00 for her.

4. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

I realize there are market variations based on location, but that price also sounds on the low side to me!

Here in Michigan, day-old Holstein steers are fetching $200!

5. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Dad always figures $125 for our young heifer calves and they come from productive lines. Then again,w e don't sell our heifer calves...

So what he is offering sounds great.
    If you consider mature Jersey cows can go for as little as $450....it is a good price because you don't have to put the money into raising her.

Check out the market in your particular area. Look through the AJCA directory and contact some other Jersey dairy farms and see what the going rate for a registered Jersey heifer calf is.

6. allenslabs

Good idea all. I'll do some checking. My luck she'll have a bull but I want to have things lined out just in case. Thanks!!

7. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

Day old Holsteins are going for $400 here. I would not take that much if I were you. Call a couple more Jersey dairies around you and ask what they would give before selling to this guy.

8. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

I think you'll be giving it away. We rarely sell bottle babies for less than 350 and it wasn't very good genetically. Beside after raising that cute little bugger for two weeks you'd want 2500. PS in another year you'd pay someone to get that overly friendly 500# puppy to keep her in her pasture. If it is an option raise the heifer up and sell her as a bred heifer than you hopefully have her and the cow paid for. If you just want to get rid of it than yes 250 is fine but cheap.

9. allenslabs

NO I don't wanna get rid of it whatever it is!! I'm just trying to make a point to hubby that I WILL try to make these guys pay for themselves just the same as our black cows. I mean honestly I would rather keep it, get it bred...... and still keep it!! HAHA!! Before long I'd have my own dairy!! HAHA!!! Sarah my yearling jers/hols heifer will be going to the bull in about 2 weeks. I'll miss her! She's my sweet one! Loves attention and is always there talking to me. Oh well...... well thanks. I'll have to give it some thought!

10. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

I agree, $250 is giving her away.

We've paid as little as $400 (in trade) for an unbred junior yearling heifer to over $1000 for a 2 year old, bred back Jersey (and various prices inbetween).

All except our original Jersey, all our dairy cows are off a dairy line that we re-train to to become a family milk cow. They become accustomed to being in direct contact with us multiple times a day and being trained to be milked by hand. (Placement of feet, not figiting, kicking, etc are essential in handmilking!)

Variables such as milk production history, size of teats, disposition, being bred back, etc are all important in determining the cost of a family milk cow.

$250 for a registered Jersey heifer? We'd take her in a heart beat, if we didn't currently have 5 Jerseys in our herd rith now.

A 'herd', :) we started with just one 3 years ago!

It's very difficult to find a mature Jersey going for $450 or less, unless there is some sort of problem. Teats being too small, being a kicker are just a few. Most cows are wonderful for a production line, but not all would fit into a family cow situation.

11. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

I paid for 2 month old Jersey heifer calves, registered with good bloodlines, $500-$600. The same farm had one @ 1000, and another @ 2000, mainly due to their bloodlines. Good bloodlines will bring some decent money. Now with our hereford's, I ask 1.25lb for the heifers, and this one guy does not hesitate to buy them. Either way, don't jip yourself with heifer calves, especially if it's registered.

Jeff