Good price for organic meat?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by southerngurl, Nov 12, 2004.

1. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

What is a good price per pound, live weight for oganic beef (it's a steer)?

2. Marilyn in CO

Marilyn in CO Well-Known Member

We sell our certified "natural" beef for $1.00 # live weight(no customer has ever complained about the price). Natural meaning no hormones/ no antibiotics/restrictions on feed also. If what you are meaning by organic is; mama cow was organic/calf raised on organic pasture/feed plus no hormones/antibiotics? I personally would charge more than market price for a beef that was hand raised/organically/natural because this product is far superior than what one could get in the grocery store. It is just/plain worth more. Marilyn, the farmer's wife........

3. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Thanks!

Hey, do you ever ship the meat?

4. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I don't sell live, but I set my retail price to hit more or less $1/pound live weight. Mine is also natural, but not certified.

I'd say organic ought to be at least .50/pound more, but I don't know.

Jena

5. Marilyn in CO

Do we ever ship the meat? No, we haven't but I have looked into it and if someone was "willing" to pay the price, it surely can be done. For a quarter of beef that cost $325 the cost UPS to send from CO to NY was going to be $300...so we didn't do it. Marilyn, the farmer's wife........

6. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Marilyn,

There are people out there who are willing to pay shipping. If you can do it, try it. I can't due to no availability of dry ice or a Fed Ex depot. I know a couple people who's entire business is built on shipping meat through internet sales. I get inquiries all the time from folks wanting meat shipped and I refer them on to those that do.

localharvest.org is full of farmers who ship. Email some of them and see what advice they can give.

Jena

7. Marilyn in CO

Thanks, Jena, I will look into it. Marilyn, the farmer's wife......