Good Plants for inside the House in winter.

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by unregister, Aug 10, 2004.

1. unregister

unregister Guest

Last winter I kept 6 different plants inside the house, usually at the end of winter I am very sad and with cabin fever, a gardener by blood, needs something growing all the time. This winter I am planning to keep twice as many inside the house. Do you guys have any suggestion (s)?
    I do appreciate any suggestion to keep away the "winter blues" Thanks.

2. Rivka

Rivka Well-Known Member

I'm the same way. I do the winter bulbs inside- amaryllis and paperwhites. I stager them from december until pansy season. I order a huge box of paperwhites and I keep the amaryllis over the summer, and add a few every year.

3. mtnhighgirl

mtnhighgirl Well-Known Member

I love fresh herbs, so I keep some inside for the winter. They usually include: oregano, thyme, sage, basil, rosemary and mint. Some I dig up from the garden and plant into a pot, others I start from seed in the fall.

4. margo

margo Well-Known Member

I have the usuals, the snake plant, the spider plants and my one flowering prize--the amyrillis (sp). , a couple small palms, a couple I've never known their names !!, an umbrella plant. Just as long as it's green, ya know? Like you, they cheer me up, too......Margo

5. Laura626

Laura626 Well-Known Member

Scented geraniums are great for indoors in the winter. They're pretty hardy, and in my experience pretty resistant to spider mites that can be a problem in dry, cool air. They come in all scents from chocolate to lime, rose, and orange. They get pretty leggy but can tolerate cutting back in the spring, you can make lots of baby plants from the cuttings, and they love being out on the deck or patio in the summer. Good luck!!

6. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My cats really appreciate any herbs I grow during the winter (they nibble on them). And Christmas Cactus is great for indoors.