Good People

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Hip_Shot_Hanna, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

We buried our little goat Gemstone today and planted an apple tree over her and one over each of her babies as well. It took hours to dig the hole big enough for Gemstone, we are so dry here that the soil has gotten hard as concrete. It's been another exhausting day.

While we are still saddened by the loss of this doe (she was also well bred, registered, and a high producer and a really wonderful chance for us to get into this breed) and it will take time to recover emotionally, a really wonderful thing happened as well.

The couple that sold us the doe, well - last night while we were struggling with Gemstone, I was talking to him on the phone before she died - and she was getting ready to head out to help us. These folks are moving south about four hours - and here she was, going to go to the store to get some stuff to maybe help Gemstone, and then come out here. Ten miles to the store, then 22 miles to my house. How's that for good people? Not only that, she had rounded up another woman that has goat herds who was ALSO going to come out. I think goat people must just be good folks! That lady was named Debbie.

Well, he talked us through the surgery and so on and was such a help - she died and he was really good to us. I told him to tell his wife (also named Debbie) that there was now no need for her to come out, and he said he'd tell her. (Can you imagine, three Debbies on one goat? LOL!)

Anyway, Debbie the woman that sold us the goat called and said she wanted to come out anyway. I told her that she didn't have to do that - I hated for her to go to all that trouble with so much going on in her life. Bear in mind as well, we aren't what you'd call really close friends and I felt it would be asking a lot of her. She told me she WANTED to come out, and I actually wanted her to come.

So she gets here... and knocks on our back door. I let her in and we talk a few minutes, then she says - "come out to the SUV. I have something for you - hope you won't be mad." (This SUV is old. I tell you this so you know the folks are not wealthy.)

She opens up the back, and takes out a little, beautiful doe... and I start to choke up. Then she tells me it is the daughter of the one that died.. and she's about a year old and bred. Ok - you think maybe I cried again? WOW.. what good people.. kind and generous - and I was stunned that they entrusted this little girl to me after what happened to Gemstone. I should tell you that they spent several hours yesterday afternoon here trying to help Gemstone.

Just so you all know.. there is a reason to have faith in humanity sometimes.

Merry Christmas ~
    Deb

2. goatedintoit

goatedintoit Truly Gems ADGA Nubians

What a great story. Thanx for sharing.

I'm sorry for your loss.

3. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

What a wonderful story! What kind people. I know that if I was in her shoes I would do the same thing. It is hard on someone to loose an animal, I know.

"Peace on earth, good will toward men"

4. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Goat people are the best.

Enjoy your new girl.

5. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

What a wonderful blessing!! When is she due? What is she bred to?
    Congrats!

6. toomb68

toomb68 Well-Known Member

hopefully someday debbie, you can be one of the other debbies and help someone out in return. chris

7. asher

asher Well-Known Member

What a great story.

I'm so sorry about your Gemstone. :(

I am glad she will live on through her offspring on your farm.

8. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Seems you found your Christmas angel. What a gift and what wonderful people. This is what the season is all about folks!

9. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow! That brought tears to my eyes. What a blessing.

10. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

deb that is really a nice story. i wish you luck with this doe and that she will have healthy kids for you.
    very sorry about your loss but sometimes things happens for a good reason, we only need to find it.

11. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your losses..yet in some strange and wonderful way..I think you gained more than you lost.

Merry Christmas Deb and a blessed New Year!

12. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

AMEN. I had to tell you that i was crying while I read your post. It is proof that there are good people out there, and I think most are all in the goat world. What a great gift. We all know that nothing can replace Gemstone, but it is really nice to have her daughter.
    God Bless her.

13. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

I'm glad Gemstone's daughter has come to your home. How special that her daughter and future grand children will be able to share your home.

What's the daughter" name?

I don't know about other folks, but we never really get over losing a goat. The ouch fades some over time, but they stay remembered and missed. Gemstone is such a beautiful name for a goat - and I'm sure it doesn't even begin to fully capture the special goat-person she was. Our herd sends their condolences.

Lynda

14. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

They aren't sure of a due date as she was pasture bred. However, she's starting to bag up and looking a little swollen under the tail. Can still feel the ligaments and there's no discharge, so we will just be keeping a close eye on her.

She's bred to a black Nigerian Dwarf buck that has blue eyes - and her name is Gizmo.

And yes, we were truly blessed by these folks - Rachel, you know them as you sort of introduced them to me :) So I reckon YOU blessed us too.

HSH

15. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Some are not as memorable as others, like a day old kid, or a nasty wether... But in our herd, we like to memorialize great goats by giving one of the next generation some variation of his or her name. Sometimes it's creative, sometimes it's not, like Wendi II, ha ha. This year, one new doeling will be named Oreo, and one will be named Kelly.

16. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Man, I'm here on break and getting all choked up. That is just so-o-o cool!

17. dap

dap lilsparrow

That is an AWESOME story! I am so sorry for your loss, but just as excited as you for your gain too!

18. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

I think that's one of the most touching things I've ever read on here. I'm all choked up too!

I lost a sweet little Nigerian this year too - but I'm lucky that I still have her twin doelings. It's wonderful that you have Gemstone's daughter now. What a lovely thing for that woman to do. :angel:

19. littledoe

littledoe Well-Known Member

Well, here I sit in tears, too. What an awesome Christmas story. Truly what it's all about, friend. :)

Malissa in Texas