Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WEll I got the phone call today!!!:banana02: The school needs a sub. cafeteria cook... I have asked and asked about the application for the job (had my ap in since Aug) WELL THEY CALLED TODAY!!!! tomrrow at 1 pm I got to see the Superintendent! :)):rock: ONCE you get your foot in the door there, you can get a good chance at going to FULL TIME!!!

There is a bunch of "older" ladies there that are the cooks, sooo I think I can slide in and get ready in time for some retirements!:)

As some of you know how rough its been here w/ Mil having stage 4 pancreatic (btw THURS is her last day of chemo/radiation :hobbyhorse: )then her 1st cousin having the same and passing, then her brother having colorectal ( btw his heart is ok! WHEW) and then YESTERDAY we find out my husband needs his gallbladder out (and his insurance dont kick in til feb 7th) it is hard to see the silver LINING!!!

I know the saying " God only give you what you can handle" but I REALLY wish he didnt trust me soooooo much!!!

THANK YOU TO YOU ALL (my HT family) for all the thoughts and prayers!!! THere isnt a DAY that goes by that I am not thinking/talking about something said here, or how someone is doing!!!! :grouphug:

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Congratulations!

I did something similar recently. After months and months of searching for a fulltime job, I accepted a part-time one that was offered to me. Not as many hours as I wanted, and no benefits, but I figured SOME money is better than NO money. I have been working very hard to do the best job I can, and I think it will eventually pay off with more hours, or even a possibility of a full-time position within the next year if the things my boss is telling me, come true. So take it, do your best, and hopefully good things will come from it!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
That's great giraffe baby. I have three part time jobs. Neither one gives me many hours but sure suppliments our income.

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
Great news for you. BTW I am one of those "older" ladies lol that work in the cafeteria. I started 3 years ago part time and when 2 people retired I became the head cook. It is hard work as I do many other things also besides cooking. I hope when I move this spring I can get on at a school in KY for next year. Pay isn't great but insurance is and love summers off.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,619 Posts
Thanks to the Lord for watching out for you.

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
Glad to hear things are looking up. Congratulations on the job! Can your DH's gallbladder surgery wait until Feb. 7 or just after? That's only a couple weeks. I had my gallbladder removed 20 years ago and it was a breeze. Had laproscopic (sp) surgery on Thursday, walked to my mom's house for a popsicle on Friday and was back at work Monday morning.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
Congratulations Giraffe Baby! Getting a job in this economy ANYWHERE is great. Getting one that you've been trying for, and will like..that's awesome :)

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Hey, I'm a lunch lady too! Actually the Middle school Veggie Lady to be precise! LOL I love my job. I'm the youngest one there too.

·
Registered
299 Posts
For the interview, be very positive and upbeat (even though you're carrying quite a load right now) and cheerful. Superintendents want employees that bring good "vibes" as well as skills to the workplace. And whatever you do, DON"T say anything about how things are done "back home" or wherever you used to live. Just advice from one who has been there, it sometimes does'nt go over well.
Good luck on your chance to become a lunch lady, the kids will enjoy your smiling face!

·
kygreendream
340 Posts
Congradulations!!! I Hope It Is As Much Fun As You Are.... I Know The Girls Will Really Enjoy You Being At School With Them....my Prayer Are With You

·
Premium Member
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For the interview, be very positive and upbeat (even though you're carrying quite a load right now) and cheerful. Superintendents want employees that bring good "vibes" as well as skills to the workplace. And whatever you do, DON"T say anything about how things are done "back home" or wherever you used to live. Just advice from one who has been there, it sometimes does'nt go over well.
Good luck on your chance to become a lunch lady, the kids will enjoy your smiling face!
THank you weaverrose.... I am normally (98%) HAPPY GO LUCKY.. i have my down days!:) AND most of the school district knows about my daughter's illness and how we as a family are. :) I LOVE to be at the school and honestly, i think it is a great DISTRACTION!:)

And yes my girls are loving the idea that mom MIGHT work at the school (LOL FOR NOW til puberty hits!)

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
Hey - that's great! I am very, very glad things are looking up. Sorry to hear about DH - gallbladder problems are painful. Glad he doesn't have to wait THAT long to have the surgery. He'll feel so much better and the operation is pretty much a snap these days.

Wow, I'm so happy for you - I know you'll get it. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts