good news

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Hank - Narita, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We were finally able to touch our new ewes today. We put hay in their horse trailer and they stood still for touching. They are starting to bag up and one has her tailbone standing up somewhat. Any idea how long we have to wait for lambs? Unfortunately the person we got them from didn't see the actual breeding so we don't know their possible birth dates.

2. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Congrats on getting so close!

All of my ewes are different, some bag up a couple of weeks early, others (especially newbies) wait until the last minute. But if there's a bag, certainly you're getting close and will want to have a lambing jug set up for them. Plus, you'll need to practice uploading photos so we can see baby pictures!

3. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

CONGRATS on your your ewes letting you touch them, and for having babies coming soon, If they are bagging up, I would THINK sometime within the next month or two. I will be praying for healthy moms and lambs, and for EVERYTHING to go smoothly. Good Luck, bye.

4. stoneymom

stoneymom Well-Known Member

Usually when a ewe starts to bag up - you should plan on looking for babies within the next month to 6 weeks. Hope lambing goes well for you!

I noticed that you commented on finally get to touch your ewes. All of my ewes are very tame (not the norm I know) but what I do when I get new ewe lambs for replacements is I take them into a smaller pen and leave them overnight. The next morning I go out to check the waters, put hay in , ect. this may sound weird but when I first get in the pen I always make the same noise. My kids call it mommy's sheep call. That is to signal them that it is eating time. I always take a small bucket of grain in with me and just knell down by the bucket. Sometimes I will get one or two to come on the first day sometimes it takes a little longer. I do the same thing day after day. After about the first month of doing it - they are usually tame enough that they can easliy be petted or whatever. I think that it is every important to have animals that are somewhat tame. It makes it a lot easier to deal with them when giving shots, trimming holves, etc. The neighbors think that we are strange though. The guy that lives just north of us came by one day when we were out doing chores and was just amazed when I called 4 of my ewes over by name and they cameright to me!! Thought he was going to die laughing!!

Hope this helps!
    Myra

5. woolyfluff

woolyfluff Well-Known Member

seeing that they are used to you right where the tail attaches to the body put yor two fingers around their spine and if you can almost touch you fingers you are very close if yoiu can and this is youall frist time make sure everybody watches it is great to see NEW life

6. Hank - Narita

Woolyfluff, thanks for the help. That is the info we needed. One of the ewes is like that (tall tailbones) so we keep an eye on her every day. Luckily the days are near 80 degrees and nights are above freezing just in case. Hope to get Christmas lambs tomorrow.

7. Hank - Narita

We finally got our first 2 lambs on Monday (a ram and a ewe); then Tuesday we had another single ewe lamb (a keeper). Hope to get pictures up on our website soon (www.naritafarmsaussies.com)

8. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Congrats on the baaaabies!