Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AUSTIN - The Texas Department of Transportation announced this morning
that it has officially killed the Trans Texas Corridor, saying that
despite the project's visionary aspects, "it is clearly not the choice
of Texans."

The announcement comes six years after Gov. Rick Perry shook up the
state's transportation and political circles by unveiling an ambitious
plan to stretch highways, rail lines and utilities for hundreds of miles
along the Interstate 35 and Interstate 69 corridors.

The plan, which would have cost tens of billions of dollars and relied
heavily on private toll roads, was hugely controversial.

Amadeo Saenz, executive director of TxDOT, made the announcement that
the agency was giving up on the idea at the annual Transportation Forum
in Austin.

"Make no mistake, the Trans Texas Corridor as we have known it no
longer exists," he said.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/010609dnmetttc.43c00ac6.html

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
Well, that IS good news!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Whooopppeeeee!!!!!!! Now if I can stop the 5,000 house project that is going up around me. My back fence is going to be the shoulder of a 4 lane boulevard. I guess the shooting range will have to stop during high traffic times. (it has been put on hold since the down turn, but it will come back)

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
Well, I'll be darned. I can't believe they actually gave up. I'm glad for those folks who would have been negatively effected. I guess citizen's voices do still matter.

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
they are probably giving up on state projects hoping to reap federal dollars as obama has committed to improving the infrastructure nationwide.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Yee Haw! I am so glad, the hwy noise now is bad enough.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Thank goodness, let just hope it stays dead.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Wasn't this part of the plan to create an unrestricted superhighway from Mexico into the U.S.?

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rick, it was suppossed to be part of the corridor up to Canada.
Don't know what they will do now!
But, I am happy to know I won't have a super highway within 5 miles of my homestead now.
:D

·
Registered
62 Posts

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Well, that's a temporary relief... the proposed route for I 69 through Panola county would have split my property. I would have not been able to stand that... and would have had to move.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
"Make no mistake, the Trans Texas Corridor as we have known it no
longer exists," he said.
The words "as we have known it" is simply code for "we've found a way to sneak around behind your back and do it anyway.

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
There's a regional government power structure that's supporting the entire initiative of a north/south superhighway. Along with that is an intercountry council of representatives from Canada, Mexico and the US that's been working together since early this decade to oversee this project. The main tollbooths are already built and functioning farther north of Texas, and I know for a fact that the east/west corridors that hook into this highway are already under construction here in KY.

The super highway is coming through, one way or another.

What I don't like to consider is the fact that many existing state highway systems are being sold to global investors that then turn the highways into toll roads. There's no easy out on this. Public tax monies have already paid for so many of these highway systems and now we have to pay again for their continued use and upkeep, except now our money goes to a for-profit rather than a dot gov.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts