Good News-Bad News

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by MELOC, Nov 11, 2006.

1. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

the good news is that i got a deer today. the bad news is i got it with the station wagon. :flame: luckily it was not busted up too bad. two legs broke low and massive internal injuries. at least the guts didn't break.

so, mom gets a tenderloin, my nephew got a hind quarter and a tenderloin for helping me butcher. his wife is pregnant so i am glad to nourish their growing child with wholesome meat...and maybe give him/her a predisposition for venison, lol. my sis gets some roasts and my brother gets a small neck roast and front shoulder. meat on the table for the family. :)

the station wagon needs a little work. :rolleyes:

2. wildhorse

wildhorse Well-Known Member

ouch and congratulations.

3. Been there, Done that!!!!

It can be rather expensive to get one that way. I got an old buck in early spring after he had shed his antlers. I butchered him up and found out he was the toughest buck in the world. It didn't seem to matter how I cooked him, he was just down right tuff. So I hope you tenderized him a little better then I did.

4. MELOC

it was a button buck. hopefully that will help a little bit.

5. wildhorse

wildhorse Well-Known Member

MELOC its very kind of you to share with others.

6. Highground

Highground Well-Known Member

7. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Glad YOU didnt get hurt!

8. MELOC

everyone in my family tries to help the others out. we have always been like that. like today, my brother and another nephew helped me lay block. the second weekend in a row. we did 30 feet and 5 courses high. i mixed mud for 5 and a half hours today and struck joints and carried block.

so maybe that is why i was so generous, lol...too tired to fully butcher and package the meat. nah...i normally try to give away some of my wild harvest no matter what it is. if i have morels...they have morels. if i have berries so do they. i am just glad the everyone took some meat and the deer was not wasted.

yeah, it could have been worse. every now and again a deer goes through someone's windshield and people die. it has happened several times in my area in my lifetime.

9. elkhound

elkhound Well-Known Member Supporter

meloc....it is good to share with friends and family.life is much harder than most people want to admit to.my neighbor is coming monday to fix a small problem with my well...that could be a big problem if not corrected.just have to remeber to give as much as you take from friends and family.sounds like ya'll got alot of work done on the block laying.good job

10. WolfWalksSoftly

WolfWalksSoftly Level II -Inappropriate

I've been driving for almost 30 years (has it really been that long? Geesh) and never hit any wildlife until this year. I have hit a Deer with the wifes car and one with my truck. Not much damage to the truck, but of course the wifes car got it bad, is, was her pride and joy and OF COURSE we had dropped full coverage insurance on the car about a month before.

11. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I'm glad that no one was hurt!

12. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Some of our best deer weapons have been Fords! '64 Galaxy 500, '69 LTD, '76 LTD. Son also has enjoyed success hunting with Ford products. Mustang, Cougar, and Thunderbird! Mine were all intentional, my son's weren't!

Martin

13. MELOC

lol. i remember driving my f100 a bit faster on the dirt roads following a few disappointing firearms seasons. :shrug:

14. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I'm glad no one was hurt! Antlered deer usually wind up going through the windshield of a car, with Bad results for the driver.