Good news and bad news

Discussion in 'Goats' started by topside1, Jul 9, 2006.

1. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Howdy everyone, the good news is that the buckling you see below was delivered last night @ 8:00pm. The delivery was trouble-free, however this first time freshener never bagged up and is only producing an extremely small quantity of milk. I'm sure the milk is not enough for the buck to survive on, I'm praying that she may bag up and “get with it” in the next few days. The little buck has gotten enough colostrum from his mom so that's a plus. To supplement his hunger I have allowed another freshened doe to act as part-time mom three times a day to supply the milk difference his mom cannot provide.
    Has anyone experienced a first freshener with this type of deficiency? Any other ideas?

And there's more the little fellow has a cherry red (think of Hawaiian punch) colored tongue. Has anyone seen this color of tongue and is there anything to be concerned about????

Handsome devil isn't he :) Tennessee John

[​IMG][/IMG]

2. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

If she will let him suck, I would let the kid suck all that she will let him have.
    That will make her give more milk. Those kids can drink a lot of milk in 24 hours but they only get a little each time they try.

Just keep them together in a small area. When see bags up a little it will start to hurt, and she will let him suck, and relieve the pressure.

Just make sure she gets all that she needs in hay, or grass and weeds, and water, and some feed if you give it.

bumpus

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a wormy doe freshen w/o milk but got her milk 6 weeks post after the worm problem was fixed (dairy)....I'd let this little bugger keep mom well stimulated and give some alfalfa pellets(to mom) and hope for the best :)

My prettiest Nubian as a first freshener is only giving a quart a day....hoping things pick up in the future or she's history :shrug:

4. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

Be careful not to confuse him on who his mother is, or he will not suck his mother, or she may stop feeding him smelling milk from another goat on him.

bumpus

5. topside1

Any other thoughts out there please....TJ

6. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

It is not abnormal for it to take a few days for the does milk to really come in strong. If you supplement him, be sure that he sucks momma first, because he needs to for her milk to let down. Usually the little ones don't actually drink that much the first few days. Their appetite picks up as the mom's milk comes in stronger.
    Do keep an eye on him the first few days to make sure he stays strong, her milk does in fact come in, and she is accepting of him.
    He's gorgeous. Congratulations.
    mary

7. full sun

full sun Well-Known Member

I'm going with the general consensus...his mother will provide enough milk for him. Just let him build her supply. I nursed my own children and never even *considered* that they weren't getting enough milk. Of course, I had the advantage of feeling the let-down, etc. But when my first doe kidded, i was almost panicked about whether the kid was getting enough to eat. It's hard when you don't actually see it. BTW my doe never had much of an udder either. I hardly ever see that kid nurse, and when he does, it's literally 2 shakes of a goat's tail! How on earth is he getting enough to eat?? but he is growing so fast. I even told him he was fat today! He's 4 weeks old.

I would stop supplementing him with the other doe. Just watch him. Make sure he poops and pees. And if he is really sleepy and can't muster energy, then he needs help. Trust nature!

And, yes, he is handsome!!

Jennifer

8. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I had a doe that I didn't think even had ANY milk. Her teats were SO small, I was really worried about it. I decided to let nature take over (with me watching very carefully). Everything worked out just fine. Mom filled up and was able to feed the baby just fine. (I was stilled worried the entire time), like others have said, the baby HAS to nurse to get the milk, Her body will only make enough milk to replace what the baby took, so if he is getting some from mom, then going to another, that is really going to hurt mom in the long run. Good Luck, and YES he is SOOOO adorable. Congratulations.

9. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Part of why she may seem like she doesn't have much milk is because the kid is drinking off of her. I would just keep an eye on them. If he starts acting weak of looks real skinny then I would worry. But right now I wouldn't worry to much. I know there have been times where I am like "Oh crud she had triplets and she isn't producing any milk!!!" but what I didn't relize was those three kids where drinking all of her milk until she came fully into her milk. One other test if you really are worried take the baby away for a couple of hours and see if she bags up any.

MotherClucker
    ps: I have one doe right now who has a 2 month old single on her (sister got pulled off to be bottle kid) anywho...she looks like she always has a shrivled old udder and isn't producing anything yet her kid is growing fat and sassy. So you can't always go by looks.

10. topside1

UPDATE: I have quit using another doe to supplement the buckling’s milk needs. Just so that you know the mother and son were always separate from the other large uddered doe, they would only be together three times a day for five minutes tops to feed the buck.
    The mother’s udder has yet to develop so now I am bottle feeding the buckling to supplement his daily needs. I was lucky he took to the bottle on the first try, which only confirmed his need for more food. I am also lucky that a have a freshened LaMancha who is generous enough to provide fresh milk daily.
    As far as his cherry red tongue it's even fading into a normal pink. All is well for now....thanks everyone.....Tennessee John

11. simplewannabe

simplewannabe Member

But I'm curious.. why was his tongue cherry red? That would worry me so bad if I had my first baby goat.

Your doe's new baby is definitely handsome... he makes me think he sort of has dreadlocks the way his big ears are proportioned to his cute little head. He really looks sweet.

Congratulations.
    Kay

12. topside1

Simplewannabe, a goat breeder mentioned that the tongue may have been severely brusied during the stress of delivery. Meaning the upper and lower jaws clamping down on the tongue over and over during the lenghty delivery..Makes good sense to me.

13. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

I also had two yearly does not bag up apon delivery this year. So I kept them with their moms and supplimented them 2-3 x's a day. As soon as they would attach to mom I would plug the bottle in so they thought they were still on mom! After about a week on each with heavy feeding the moms the milk came in and everyone was on their own. the kids still come to me when they see me thinking they are going to get a bottle but instead only get petting now. All four are one month old now and growing like weeds. Just be paient and her milk will come in. Make sure she is getting enough protein to produce the quanitity of milk she will need to feed the kid.

jr05

14. topside1

thanks JR05, there's no doubt my doe has not bagged up in the least. Good to hear that there is still hope that her milk may still come in, if not I will bottle feed as needed. Thanks for your input....Tennessee John