Good Neighbors--NICE PEOPLE

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by farmmaid, Apr 27, 2005.

1. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

Some families just do it right! We have traded Boer goats for beef and lamb meat with our good dairy neighbor for years. We both pride ourselves raising good quality animals. Their oldest daughter, who is in 4-H, is starting to raise Jerseys with her dads Holsteins. I want a good Jersey heifer calf to raise for a family milk cow. The father and daughter were up to our farm to get a doe and her doeling. They saw our two newest doelings and daughter wanted them to show at the fair (they are exceptional doelings). Father told her that their farm has to pay for itself and if she wanted the doelings she would have to sell one of the Jersey calves that are due this fall. SOOOOOOOOO...I am raising the doelings to weaning age and giving them to her so that she can finish them off, train them and take them to the county fair. In exchange, she is to raise a Jersey heifer for me this fall until weaning age and write down all the information on shots, worming etc. for me. She is getting 2 NICE Boer doelings and I am getting a hand raised Jersey heifer calf that I know will be healthy. Daughter is learning a great lesson on $ and making a farm work. Parents are thrilled with the barter. Win, win situation for ALL. Had to share...Joan :)

2. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Sounds like a wonderful deal to me!! Congrats!!

3. JanO

JanO Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like a good deal. Congrats.