Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Living in the Hills
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone recommended the Astronaut Farmer here a few months ago. It just came out in DVD. It is inspiring! My 8, yo ds, & his 8 & 10 yo cousins are upstairs in bed right now figuring out how to build THEIR own rocket & go to space. It is "99%" clean. (I remember one sentence they could have left out.) It reminds us that we need to dream & prese our dreams.

On that same note, last night we watched Miss Potter. Set in different time & place, it also was a wonderful reminder in the power of dreams & hard work & following your own path. Both movies are family friendly and very well done.

Not able to say this often, but YAY, HOLLYWOOD!!! :dance: :dance:

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
An old movie that I think is a good one for kids to watch is "Captains Courageous". It was made in the 30's. Basics of the story: Spoiled rich kid falls off an ocean liner. He is rescued by fishermen in the North Atlantic, and he must remain with them (much to his chagrin) until their voyage/harvest is completed. He must pull his weight while on board, but he is befriended by a Portugese sailor on the ship who helps him along. It's a well made movie, but note that it has a very sad ending. Even that ending, however, has a moral and courageous message that is important.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Ramblin Wreck said:
An old movie that I think is a good one for kids to watch is "Captains Courageous". It was made in the 30's. Basics of the story: Spoiled rich kid falls off an ocean liner. He is rescued by fishermen in the North Atlantic, and he must remain with them (much to his chagrin) until their voyage/harvest is completed. He must pull his weight while on board, but he is befriended by a Portugese sailor on the ship who helps him along. It's a well made movie, but note that it has a very sad ending. Even that ending, however, has a moral and courageous message that is important.
And much better than the movie is the original book by Rudyard Kipling. Its awesome. :) AND, it doesn't have the sad ending. But it does deal with real life and death situations and yes, people do die.....just not the same people as in the movie. It is not violent.

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
ozark_jewels said:
And much better than the movie is the original book by Rudyard Kipling. Its awesome. :) AND, it doesn't have the sad ending. But it does deal with real life and death situations and yes, people do die.....just not the same people as in the movie. It is not violent.
I'll put it on my reading list Em, but given my pace these day, it may be a while!

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Ramblin Wreck said:
I'll put it on my reading list Em, but given my pace these day, it may be a while!
I resemble that remark. :) By the time I get to bed these days, I pick up a book to read a chapter and the next thing I know my alarm is going off and my face is flat from being smashed by my book all night. :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts