Good Morning/Afternoon folks (intro)

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Timberline, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Timberline

Timberline Guest

I found the forum while doing some research on starting up my homestead, read a bit and discovered that I can't seem to leave.
    Yall stuck with me now. :)

I'm a 31 year old guy, single, no kiddies. I first got started in homesteading 10 years ago up in Maine in a one room shack with a woodstove on 40 acres. Had a couple of horses, sheep, goats, chickens, rabbits, God knows how many cats that bred like rabbits and 2 dogs.

Always wanted to build with logs. I rebuilt the interior of the barn with logs first, for practice. Wall stood up to a horses kicking, so I figured I'm good to go. I picked a spot and marked my trees but I never got the chance to build that cabin. Local plant closed down and my father passed on, times got real tough and I couldn't keep the land. So I traveled the country for a while, wound up here in Florida, work in HVAC and spend my free time planning, searching and researching for the next homestead.

Look foward to gettin settled in here.

2. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Welcome and I just want to sat that there are a lot of nice folks in Fla doing the Homestead type living.

Keep coming back and enjoy life, as it is very short.

Ps; My son is doing HVAC in Jacksonville Fla.

3. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Timberline, too bad about your father and not being able to keep the land. That's so sad.

I'm sure you'll settle in quick and learn a lot from the knowledgable people here. That must have been one heck of a barn to withstand kicks from horses!

It sounds like you have quite a bit of knowledge you can share with us. Welcome to the forums. :cool:

4. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard! Thats how it started for me to,came in looking around,and just couldn't leave. :haha: Theres some really good people here! ;)

5. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Yep,
    A lot of us wandered in the door, and couldn't leave. This place is sooooo addictive!!
    Welcome to the forum. Mark your trail when heading into the archives or you'll never get back out!

6. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Welcome to Florida!

7. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

This is so funny! I waundered in the door too and got lost in the archives. :eek:

You're so correct Meg, it's addictive. I've read posts as far back as the early greenspun.com days and today see many of the same people posting to this second new message board.

I wasn't there to make the history on greenspun or lusenet but am grateful for all the information that was shared and archived. :p Many thanks to Chuck for taking over the board and keeping it alive.

8. Timberline

Timberline Guest

The welcomes have been much appreciated. Thank you.

The archives are a hoot. My stomach started to growl and I looked up at the clock...spent quite a few hours reading through those old threads! I'm a little upset about it, cause I don't have any questions to ask yet!

I like Fl. Been here a little over a year now. Came here for work. Brother lives here too, so I thought I'd pay some time here. But the Tampa area isn't much to my desires. Everyone's in such a hurry, you'd think the world is ending tomorrow. Met a lot of nice folks though. Can't say enough about them. I'm assuming the panhadle is a more likely area for my interests.

I do have this twelve year itch for the Ozarks though. Lived out in SW Mo. back around 92 or 93 and worked in Branson. Great country out that way, but I'm weary of the building up. Branson area was booming for construction when I was out there and I notice a lot of folks looking for land there too. Don't know how much it's changed over the years.

Lot's of looking to do.